Dimensioning a Hexagon

In the event that this is a dumb question, this group has my apologies. I am always having a problem dimensioning a hexagon. It seems that if I add more than one dimension, SWX gives me an "overdefined" error messsage. Even auto-dimension will turn my sketch red. If someone could provide an answer to this, I most certainly would appreciate it. I am under the impression that every sketch should be fully defined, (turned black), before exiting the sketch, to do whatever it is I must do, be it extrude, revolve, etc. if this impression is incorrect, I would like to know this as well. Thanking you, Karen

Reply to
kareninventress

Karen,

I use the polygon sketch tool, dimension the circle and simply define the angle of one of the lines, (usually making one horizontal or vertical). Because the line segments are patterned, anything more will over-define the sketch.

Reaper.

Reply to
Reaper2561

It's just good practice to help ensure reliable updates after changes to shape or dimensions of the part, and to fully capture design intent - it's not actually a requirement.

John H

Reply to
John H

Karen,

Reaper2561, is correct, and that's how I do it with one slight exception. After dimensioning the circle, I'll make that dimension Driven and add a dimension across two parallel lines (if it's even sided). Just a little idiosyncrasy of mine, so don't pay too much attention.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Ok, so I'm curious - what do you get with your modification other than the ability to bring that particular dim into the drawing? Obviously the polygon sketch doesn't care, but what started the thought process in your head that you would need to spend time making that change?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

LOL! Mostly it's just that as a former mechanic aren't all hexagons (bolt heads) measured across the flats? I told you (well Karen anyway) that it was an idiosyncrasy of mine.

Also, one of the model makers that I use "needs" to know the distance across the flats. Sorry Wayne if I caused you any agita, there's no "secret" that you're missing out on.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

ummm, ok guys, polygons aint just hexagons, OK? I have made Septagons, Octogons and 19 sided-ogons. The rules are the same.

Resectfully, Reap.

Reply to
Reaper2561