Is this group dying?

It seemed this question was overdue. There have been very few new posts except for armor reviews, but it is summer and we are just getting past the Labor day holiday.

Strangely, however, there have been no recent postings about acquiring a new guitar. Perhaps the person in question has retired or finally run out of room?

In other news:

A sighting of the elusive C-5A Galaxy - the one with the operable landing gear - was reported in Sacramento, CA. Last seen at Riverside Hobbies. Sadly, this hobby store is now closed and its inventory scattered to the winds.

A Williams B-10 was discovered smashed to pieces on a kitchen table in the Pioneer, California area. The reporting party indicated the room smelled of fermented bananas when he came to investigate the noise. Through the open patio door, he saw a smallish figure leaving at high speed and swore he heard "got another on for ya Dan..." before the figured peddled out of sight.

Reply to
John Stewart

But did he ram a Llama?

Reply to
Jessica

...12 guitars is enough. For now...besides, the band broke up. Though I did manage to finish that Telecaster mod I was working on...

Reply to
Rufus

All the newsgroups are suffering the same fate, less ISP are carrying them and most people have migrated to social networking like farcebook. Where it cuts down on raving loon posts and spammers with attitudes. Plus there is less and less hands on activities like model building or car repair. Trouble shooting or repair to most people means a software upgrade or a replacement item.

A small pointer as to how messed up the world is I went to rent space to expand my business and I needed to get liability insurance for the space I found. Checked with several insurance companies and they would not insure me because I did light electronic manufacturing I build wiring harnesses & test. So it is really hard to grow and stimulate the economy when they will not let you expand, but I can have an office over here build them in china. I did not mention that I build them for competition vehicles to air craft standards and ultimately want to have a complete machine shop but I mentioned none of this. As a country that is built on manufacturing we are now scared of it. If I mention lead Pb people freak out I use it to make fishing weights and ballast in cars much safer than in paint plus for soldering I use a silver based solder better electrically.

Reply to
down_hill

Yeah, I check here frequently and it is a bummer.

I actually did post asking for cockpit color help with an Ar 196 and got nothing which took me by surprise, but have since seen other questions unanswered as well.

I miss ModelerAl, (!!!) Dan and even Jerry Crandall who used to post here in the mid 90's and EVERYONE else who have seemed to moved on. (Nachtwulf are you still here?)

I really do miss ModelerAl (Al Superzynski, I know I spelled the last name wrong sorry) he was the biggest influence in my modeling since I was a kid. It was great to meet him several times and I'll never forget him ! His motto really got to me and still does.

"Build What You Want The Way You Want"

Got to thank Cookie for still hanging in here and posting reviews here, they are priceless and have helped me out in the past with AFV and figure modeling.

I guess I too am responsible as I hang out now mostly at ARC or LSP. (under the name necron99)

Oh... And *someone* you need to send me your snail mail address, I do still have the CD's for ya. I know over a year late, (new girlfriend has totally taken over my life this past year and a half) but give me a shout and they are yours. (you know who you are)

Thanx all.

Allan

Reply to
AM

I don't build targets, so the tank reviews do nothing for me. I check in once or twice a week, and sometimes lurk on other modeling forums. Lately my time has been taken up with being a Dad, and playing with my

1/1 car. I still model but I've gone from several finished a week, including resins and vacuforms, to barely finishing a basic SOB kit in a month. Plus the prices of current releases has become ridiculous, I buy older kits on ebay and local brick and mortar stores, but mostly rely on my stash of old kits.
Reply to
eyeball

Hey guys,

I haven't posted here for a long while (with the exception of a tank question - thanks Cookie and the rest who answered - I still haven't made a move on it though...), as I haven't done any actual modelling for umm... (counts on fingers, then swears and goes to get the calculator) somewhere around 5 years. Just too damn busy with all the rest of the real life stuff; and I'm single, no kids. I dunno... days just fly by and before ya know it another year has disappeared.

I am still buying kits, but I'm being a lot more selective than I used to be, AND I'm going to put some of the un-needed bits of the stash up on the-auction-site-that-cannot-say-its-own-name Real Soon Now (tm). I'll post here when I do.

I miss the old days.. anyone heard from Pommy Jules or any of the old gang? Even that young smartarse Sean is missed. Anyhoo... if anyone sees the Mon-key, smack it's backside and sent it back here, we miss it.

/me wipes a nostalgic tear from his watering eye

RobG (the Aussie one)

If we all post once a week, maybe we can keep it running for a while longer... what say you?

Reply to
RobG

Ok, I'm in.

Also I get some pic's up over at a.b.m.s of my Great Wall TBD 1 Devastator build in the next couple of days.

Allan

Reply to
AM

Hehe, same here. Still have my modelling table with painted Fine Molds Bf109F and Italeri one almost ready to paint. Both now covered in dust...

Yup, ditto!

Nice thing is one can run one's own newsgroup server (eternal-september mirror, for example) if one has a fixed IP address, and text groups are so much easier to browse and read than web forums. The vast majority of chat never has need of photos.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

I also check in here about once a week. But the UseNet seems to be dying (I also check few other newsgroups). I guess the times are changing and this dinosaur is finally getting to the point of extinction.

Funny, just recently I was also thinking about what happened to Jules. He kind of just disappeared.

Reply to
Peter W.

that pommy jules is doing well i hear, he gets married in less than a month= (for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles a= bout 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germa= ny...came back a few months later a new man.

a year ago, bumped into his first ever serious GF from the late 80's, had n= ot seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww

hes busy still making models. although trying to get a new place to live, d= ue to neighbours from hell. =20

i know i havent used this group for many many years, i couldnt get access t= o it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this yea= r, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to so= rt out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a messa= ge saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

anyway im on FB (who isnt lol). where i just mainly have it for modelling = fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you st= raight to my front door.

I know its years ago since big Al died in the US, i used to fone him up oft= en, and i spoke to his family after he died, seems like yesterday.

Reply to
julianhales

(for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.

seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww

to neighbours from hell.

it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a message saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you straight to my front door.

and i spoke to his family after he died, seems like yesterday.

Jules glad to see ya again.

So the E German girl didn't work out ?

I got a similar situation here now. Found the love of my life, and now it's all about making house and looking for a horse farm. She get's her horses, I get a modeling area and an observatory for my telescope :)

I'm over at ARC and LSP browsing now a lot. (screen name necron99)

Congrats on getting married !

So when do we get to hear of a 1:1 scale little Jules ?

Allan

Reply to
AM

Den 05-09-2012 09:03, John Stewart skrev:

Still alive and kicking. I do think there are quite a few that just reads this group (counting 1: me) The reason that I just reads is that I do not feel that I have something to add to the group. Oh, almost forgot. The town where I liveEsbjerg in Denmark do have a modeler-club and they do have an annual exhibition caled Esbjerg Open. The lame excuse that I use for not being a member is time :-( Anyhow I can give you guys the link to their website:

you go to the 'Galleri' (Gallery) there are some pictures from the past and present. Yes I went with my 10 yrs son and we did enjoy the models and get some inspiration. Bought a decal sheet for a airline company from my home country Faroe Islands, the decal company is btw Lima November Decals
garbage from here I'll keep on reading ;-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

onth (for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptil= es about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to g= ermany...came back a few months later a new man.

ad not seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww

e, due to neighbours from hell.

ss to it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this= year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much t= o sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a m= essage saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

ing fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring yo= u straight to my front door.

often, and i spoke to his family after he died, seems like yesterday.

Hi, yeah it was a pity about E Germany, had to come back due to a tumour an= d it left me weak for a long time, i just pop across and visit the ex's fam= ily though, still in touch. I still have Arthur the ugly dog, hes about 1=

7 now so a bit blind, deaf and doggy alzheimers, but still enjoys walks in = the park etc. just no road sense any more, and i think his trips around eu= rope are past it now (i do have a young german shepherd bitch, called Wittm= ann).

im not good with the forum groups, i get lost and confused.

Working on a little Jules.. Its so wierd that me and kaye are back together= after 21 year, she says i havent changed, her dad still hates me lol.

Reply to
jules

month (for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.

not seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww

due to neighbours from hell.

[...]

Nice to see you are here! And good news all, fantastic. Wittmann, great name for a german shepherd bitch :-) Hope little Jules comes along soon too! I'm 42 too, 5 years married happily, one failed little Gernot, but planning on working on another this year.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

(for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.

seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww

to neighbours from hell.

it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a message saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you straight to my front door.

and i spoke to his family after he died, seems like yesterday.

Oh my, it's Jules... great to see that you're still around mate (and still have the same old email address). And congrats on the whole marrying thing too - I did it once, will never go back there, I fear.

I knew you'd gone to Gairmenny, I recall you telling us before you left, glad it helped, and that you're better healthwise. Also glad that

*someone* in the NG is still modelling... not many of us are any more.

As for Farcebook... I'm not in it, never have been and can't see that I'll ever have a need for it. But I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon.

Good to hear from you, post some wedding pix to ABMS when you do the deed huh. :)

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

Uffe... not garbage man, great to hear from you. Make sure you instruct that boy of yours well, strong the force is in that one, hmm?

Umm, sorry, I went a little astray there. Give your son a model, let him build, and you do the same. Nearly winter there, so lots of long dark evenings to fill. Use that decal sheet, too, and get to a meeting or two asap. And post here as well. :D

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

onth (for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptil= es about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to g= ermany...came back a few months later a new man.

ad not seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww

e, due to neighbours from hell.

ss to it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this= year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much t= o sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a m= essage saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

ing fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring yo= u straight to my front door.

often, and i spoke to his family after he died, seems like yesterday.

yes the same old email addy, never seemed to get rid of it although i do ha= ve a nice german one :-)

i will have to get one of those foto upload page things so i can put fotos = up of the models (just done a tamiya 35th T 72, dragon SPW 40 and UAZ469 al= l in E German markings.) ah the newish 48th Eduard Mig 21 too!!!!

Have a great girl, when we bumped into each other a year ago, neither one o= f us expected it, but after 21 years, both first loves back then it seemed = like it never went away, she has a good job and doesnt mind supporting me, = the spinal injury has got worse, so mobility is pretty poor, but shes ok wi= th that which is the main thing. got a old campervan (which she hates) but= the dogs love it, getting away in the country, just trying to do the insid= e up at the mo. but wont be done intime for next month when we wanted the h= oneymoon.

we have some neighbours from hell, and i mean from hell, so trying t get ou= t of here, might take a month or 2, i need somewhere better for me, no stai= rs or at least a toilet on each floor.

Germany was great, i really miss it, hope to get back next year, miss the m= useums too, i have some builds there i gave as gifts.

as im sat here, im lookint at the foto of the GF, from when we dated, it wa= s taken back in 90, and my grandathers 65th, kept it ever since ;-)

oh, also been working on a 24th scale opel blitz, the italeri one, super de= tailed, she bought it my for xmas and i went to town on it.

seems like yesterday i was here, it was about 06 i left, it must be...

im not fan of fb, cant really see the point for someone my age, but great t= o compare work of other modellers.=20

Reply to
jules

a nice german one:-)

[...]

Well we are glad ya are back :)

Take care of your back, got three bad discs in mine but the right exercise and care work wonders.

I'm done with kid's both are grown now, younger 11 Bravo one got back from Iraq and is interested in model building again who hoo.

Ya get a chance post some build pic's

Allan

Reply to
AM

o have a nice german one:-)

[...]

thanks Alan, had it now 16 years so learnt to live with it, dampness ma= kes it much worse, had many pain clinic and hosp visits. luckily my GF is = ok with it, knows i cant work, or do a great deal and really understands wh= en its sooo bad, things down below dont work too well, esp due to meds, wer= e trying for a baby when we can.

Just set up a new pc, so couple of days i will have sorted out the fotos :-= )=20

im wearing a miami vice style suit for the wedding ;-)

whats a a forum that you guys use, so i can link some fotos up? thanks

Reply to
jules