Is this group dying?

It seemed this question was overdue. There have been very few new posts except for armor reviews, but it is summer and we are just getting past the
Labor day holiday.
Strangely, however, there have been no recent postings about acquiring a new guitar. Perhaps the person in question has retired or finally run out of room?
In other news:
A sighting of the elusive C-5A Galaxy - the one with the operable landing gear - was reported in Sacramento, CA. Last seen at Riverside Hobbies. Sadly, this hobby store is now closed and its inventory scattered to the winds.
A Williams B-10 was discovered smashed to pieces on a kitchen table in the Pioneer, California area. The reporting party indicated the room smelled of fermented bananas when he came to investigate the noise. Through the open patio door, he saw a smallish figure leaving at high speed and swore he heard "got another on for ya Dan..." before the figured peddled out of sight.
@yahoo.com says...

But did he ram a Llama?
John Stewart wrote:

...12 guitars is enough. For now...besides, the band broke up. Though I did manage to finish that Telecaster mod I was working on...
--
- Rufus

John Stewart wrote:

All the newsgroups are suffering the same fate, less ISP are carrying them and most people have migrated to social networking like farcebook. Where it cuts down on raving loon posts and spammers with attitudes. Plus there is less and less hands on activities like model building or car repair. Trouble shooting or repair to most people means a software upgrade or a replacement item.
A small pointer as to how messed up the world is I went to rent space to expand my business and I needed to get liability insurance for the space I found. Checked with several insurance companies and they would not insure me because I did light electronic manufacturing I build wiring harnesses & test. So it is really hard to grow and stimulate the economy when they will not let you expand, but I can have an office over here build them in china. I did not mention that I build them for competition vehicles to air craft standards and ultimately want to have a complete machine shop but I mentioned none of this. As a country that is built on manufacturing we are now scared of it. If I mention lead Pb people freak out I use it to make fishing weights and ballast in cars much safer than in paint plus for soldering I use a silver based solder better electrically.
On 9/5/2012 3:03 AM, John Stewart wrote:

Yeah, I check here frequently and it is a bummer.
I actually did post asking for cockpit color help with an Ar 196 and got nothing which took me by surprise, but have since seen other questions unanswered as well.
I miss ModelerAl, (!!!) Dan and even Jerry Crandall who used to post here in the mid 90's and EVERYONE else who have seemed to moved on. (Nachtwulf are you still here?)
I really do miss ModelerAl (Al Superzynski, I know I spelled the last name wrong sorry) he was the biggest influence in my modeling since I was a kid. It was great to meet him several times and I'll never forget him ! His motto really got to me and still does.
"Build What You Want The Way You Want"
Got to thank Cookie for still hanging in here and posting reviews here, they are priceless and have helped me out in the past with AFV and figure modeling.
I guess I too am responsible as I hang out now mostly at ARC or LSP. (under the name necron99)
Oh... And *someone* you need to send me your snail mail address, I do still have the CD's for ya. I know over a year late, (new girlfriend has totally taken over my life this past year and a half) but give me a shout and they are yours. (you know who you are)
Thanx all.
Allan

I don't build targets, so the tank reviews do nothing for me. I check in once or twice a week, and sometimes lurk on other modeling forums. Lately my time has been taken up with being a Dad, and playing with my 1/1 car. I still model but I've gone from several finished a week, including resins and vacuforms, to barely finishing a basic SOB kit in a month. Plus the prices of current releases has become ridiculous, I buy older kits on ebay and local brick and mortar stores, but mostly rely on my stash of old kits.
Hey guys,
I haven't posted here for a long while (with the exception of a tank question - thanks Cookie and the rest who answered - I still haven't made a move on it though...), as I haven't done any actual modelling for umm... (counts on fingers, then swears and goes to get the calculator) somewhere around 5 years. Just too damn busy with all the rest of the real life stuff; and I'm single, no kids. I dunno... days just fly by and before ya know it another year has disappeared.
I am still buying kits, but I'm being a lot more selective than I used to be, AND I'm going to put some of the un-needed bits of the stash up on the-auction-site-that-cannot-say-its-own-name Real Soon Now (tm). I'll post here when I do.
I miss the old days.. anyone heard from Pommy Jules or any of the old gang? Even that young smartarse Sean is missed. Anyhoo... if anyone sees the Mon-key, smack it's backside and sent it back here, we miss it.
/me wipes a nostalgic tear from his watering eye
RobG (the Aussie one)
If we all post once a week, maybe we can keep it running for a while longer... what say you?
On 9/10/2012 7:11 AM, RobG wrote:

Ok, I'm in.
Also I get some pic's up over at a.b.m.s of my Great Wall TBD 1 Devastator build in the next couple of days.
Allan

Hehe, same here. Still have my modelling table with painted Fine Molds Bf109F and Italeri one almost ready to paint. Both now covered in dust...

Yup, ditto!

Nice thing is one can run one's own newsgroup server (eternal-september mirror, for example) if one has a fixed IP address, and text groups are so much easier to browse and read than web forums. The vast majority of chat never has need of photos.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

that pommy jules is doing well i hear, he gets married in less than a month (for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.
a year ago, bumped into his first ever serious GF from the late 80's, had not seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww
hes busy still making models. although trying to get a new place to live, due to neighbours from hell.
i know i havent used this group for many many years, i couldnt get access to it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a message saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.
anyway im on FB (who isnt lol). where i just mainly have it for modelling fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you straight to my front door.
I know its years ago since big Al died in the US, i used to fone him up often, and i spoke to his family after he died, seems like yesterday.
On 9/13/2012 7:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

(for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.

it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a message saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you straight to my front door.

Jules glad to see ya again.
So the E German girl didn't work out ?
I got a similar situation here now. Found the love of my life, and now it's all about making house and looking for a horse farm. She get's her horses, I get a modeling area and an observatory for my telescope :)
I'm over at ARC and LSP browsing now a lot. (screen name necron99)
Congrats on getting married !
So when do we get to hear of a 1:1 scale little Jules ?
Allan
On Thursday, 13 September 2012 17:10:02 UTC+1, AM wrote:

Hi, yeah it was a pity about E Germany, had to come back due to a tumour and it left me weak for a long time, i just pop across and visit the ex's family though, still in touch. I still have Arthur the ugly dog, hes about 17 now so a bit blind, deaf and doggy alzheimers, but still enjoys walks in the park etc. just no road sense any more, and i think his trips around europe are past it now (i do have a young german shepherd bitch, called Wittmann).
im not good with the forum groups, i get lost and confused.
Working on a little Jules.. Its so wierd that me and kaye are back together after 21 year, she says i havent changed, her dad still hates me lol.

[...]

Nice to see you are here! And good news all, fantastic. Wittmann, great name for a german shepherd bitch :-) Hope little Jules comes along soon too! I'm 42 too, 5 years married happily, one failed little Gernot, but planning on working on another this year.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai
On 13/09/2012 9:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

(for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.

it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a message saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you straight to my front door.

Oh my, it's Jules... great to see that you're still around mate (and still have the same old email address). And congrats on the whole marrying thing too - I did it once, will never go back there, I fear.
I knew you'd gone to Gairmenny, I recall you telling us before you left, glad it helped, and that you're better healthwise. Also glad that *someone* in the NG is still modelling... not many of us are any more.
As for Farcebook... I'm not in it, never have been and can't see that I'll ever have a need for it. But I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon.
Good to hear from you, post some wedding pix to ABMS when you do the deed huh. :)
RobG (the Aussie one)
On Friday, 14 September 2012 11:14:57 UTC+1, RobG wrote:

yes the same old email addy, never seemed to get rid of it although i do have a nice german one :-)
i will have to get one of those foto upload page things so i can put fotos up of the models (just done a tamiya 35th T 72, dragon SPW 40 and UAZ469 all in E German markings.) ah the newish 48th Eduard Mig 21 too!!!!
Have a great girl, when we bumped into each other a year ago, neither one of us expected it, but after 21 years, both first loves back then it seemed like it never went away, she has a good job and doesnt mind supporting me, the spinal injury has got worse, so mobility is pretty poor, but shes ok with that which is the main thing. got a old campervan (which she hates) but the dogs love it, getting away in the country, just trying to do the inside up at the mo. but wont be done intime for next month when we wanted the honeymoon.
we have some neighbours from hell, and i mean from hell, so trying t get out of here, might take a month or 2, i need somewhere better for me, no stairs or at least a toilet on each floor.
Germany was great, i really miss it, hope to get back next year, miss the museums too, i have some builds there i gave as gifts.
as im sat here, im lookint at the foto of the GF, from when we dated, it was taken back in 90, and my grandathers 65th, kept it ever since ;-)
oh, also been working on a 24th scale opel blitz, the italeri one, super detailed, she bought it my for xmas and i went to town on it.
seems like yesterday i was here, it was about 06 i left, it must be...
im not fan of fb, cant really see the point for someone my age, but great to compare work of other modellers.
On 9/14/2012 7:53 AM, jules wrote:

of the models (just done a tamiya 35th T 72, dragon SPW 40 and UAZ469 all in E German markings.) ah the newish 48th Eduard Mig 21 too!!!!

us expected it, but after 21 years, both first loves back then it seemed like it never went away, she has a good job and doesnt mind supporting me, the spinal injury has got worse, so mobility is pretty poor, but shes ok with that which is the main thing. got a old campervan (which she hates) but the dogs love it, getting away in the country, just trying to do the inside up at the mo. but wont be done intime for next month when we wanted the honeymoon.

of here, might take a month or 2, i need somewhere better for me, no stairs or at least a toilet on each floor.

Well we are glad ya are back :)
Take care of your back, got three bad discs in mine but the right exercise and care work wonders.
I'm done with kid's both are grown now, younger 11 Bravo one got back from Iraq and is interested in model building again who hoo.
Ya get a chance post some build pic's
Allan
On Friday, 14 September 2012 14:47:23 UTC+1, AM wrote:

thanks Alan, had it now 16 years so learnt to live with it, dampness makes it much worse, had many pain clinic and hosp visits. luckily my GF is ok with it, knows i cant work, or do a great deal and really understands when its sooo bad, things down below dont work too well, esp due to meds, were trying for a baby when we can.
Just set up a new pc, so couple of days i will have sorted out the fotos :-)
im wearing a miami vice style suit for the wedding ;-)
whats a a forum that you guys use, so i can link some fotos up? thanks
On 9/15/2012 11:04 AM, jules wrote:

[...]

Photobucket http://www.photobucket.com
It is the free photo storage site people over at ARC (Aviation Resource Center) and LSP (Large Scale Planes) use almost exclusively. Works like a champ, I just make sure I don't upload really big pic's just to make viewing quicker.
Here is my photo page. Got a bunch of pic's of works in progress. Even a pic of me on horseback :)
http://s769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/SCTUSER /
Allan
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

(for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.

it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a message saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you straight to my front door.

Hey Jules, welcome back...yeah, life intervenes. I've had some health issues to deal with myself, so it's "first things first" and ten whatever falls out for me too.
I'm actively trying not to start any new models because I'm a couple years away from making my next big (and hopefully final) move...unbuilt kits are easier to move than built ones! But in the meantime I'm working on gather parts for and building a 1:1 scale F-16 flight simulator. But I still look in here about daily...
--
- Rufus

Den 15-09-2012 21:24, Rufus skrev:

ohhhh Something like this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWr5Guh0qc :-)