Is this group dying?

Uffe Brentsen wrote:

That's not a bad start...I follow what these guys are doing and get tons of information here -
<http://viperpits.org/smf/index.php?PHPSESSIDD6f1f4e216d39cff8ad0a465020e82f&
Good series of vids on building a kit-pit here -
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3Gn0LScUk&feature=channel&list=UL

SC Sims kit prototype info -
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-12799.html
I may or may not try and get hold of their ejection seat; I already have a size set of very nice plans for an ACES II replica that I grabbed from Viperpits and have had printed full size.
And I've already bought my ICP kit here -
<http://www.viperpanels.com/?shopp_product=f-16-icp-in-kit-form
Call me nutz...AMS at it's most advanced!
--
- Rufus

I also check in here about once a week. But the UseNet seems to be dying (I also check few other newsgroups). I guess the times are changing and this dinosaur is finally getting to the point of extinction.
Funny, just recently I was also thinking about what happened to Jules. He kind of just disappeared.
Den 05-09-2012 09:03, John Stewart skrev:

Still alive and kicking. I do think there are quite a few that just reads this group (counting 1: me) The reason that I just reads is that I do not feel that I have something to add to the group. Oh, almost forgot. The town where I liveEsbjerg in Denmark do have a modeler-club and they do have an annual exhibition caled Esbjerg Open. The lame excuse that I use for not being a member is time :-( Anyhow I can give you guys the link to their website: http://www.esbjergmodelbyggerforening.dk / If you go to the 'Galleri' (Gallery) there are some pictures from the past and present. Yes I went with my 10 yrs son and we did enjoy the models and get some inspiration. Bought a decal sheet for a airline company from my home country Faroe Islands, the decal company is btw Lima November Decals http://lndecals.com / Enough garbage from here I'll keep on reading ;-)
--
Uffe

On 14/09/2012 2:15 AM, Uffe Brentsen wrote:

Uffe... not garbage man, great to hear from you. Make sure you instruct that boy of yours well, strong the force is in that one, hmm?
Umm, sorry, I went a little astray there. Give your son a model, let him build, and you do the same. Nearly winter there, so lots of long dark evenings to fill. Use that decal sheet, too, and get to a meeting or two asap. And post here as well. :D
RobG (the Aussie one)
I still check in semi-weekly. Normally not a lot of activity around here. Other modeling forums have suffered a decline as well. I still think the forums where you can embed photos are superior. Also those forums usually have breakdowns between genres (air, armor, ships) and some even have breakdowns within the genre (German, US, modern). I like that style best, keeps me from having to sift through German armor posts I am not interested in reading.
On 16/09/2012 4:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Burn the heretic!!
Rob, everyone who is anyone knows that the Germans made the only armour worth building. Just ask Dragon, CyberHobby and Trumpeter...
:D
RobG (the Aussie one)
On Wednesday, 5 September 2012 08:02:08 UTC+1, John Stewart wrote:

cool. im just about to give a link to some of my fotos on photobucket :-)
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:01:44 AM UTC-4, jules wrote:

Jules, it is good to see see you back on r.m.s. and to know that you are still plugging along! :-)
Peteski
The group really is a shadow of it's former self. I think several things happened. One, the use of the net for sharing hobby info just seems down. I belong to several hobby related (miniature figures and models) Yahoo groups - the posts seem very sparse. One possibility is that, in the old days you had a question r.m.s was a good soource for a rapid answer. Today you can go on a hobby store site and buy a book on almost any aspect of the hobby. Second, as the hobby has developed the kit manufacturers now supply more info on painting etc right on the instruction sheet, or with after market stuff, so there's less questions. Third and not last, some years ago, everytime there was a major IPMS contest, r.m.s was choked with posts complaining about the judging and the models selected for awards. I think this really got the average particpant to drop out - almost everyone I knew personnally and who frequented r.m.s fall into this last category.
One other possibility is we got new members as modeers discussed things in the local hobby shop on Saturday morning - most of the hobby shops are gone.
With the rise in digital cameras one would have expected the r.m.s. binary group would have grown with more examples of actial lbuilds.
                    Val Kraut

Well, in the US that may be the case, but in plenty of countries there is no such sentiment. The cause of dropping off is often easily attributed to web forums, and browsers. The defaults of an OS are all most users seem to be comfortable with, and setting up Usenet accounts is not internal to main-stream browsers anymore.

Here in Japan there is no IPMS, and clubs are generally very small, just a dozen or so members meeting up once a month, and enjoying time in a rented room, and afterwards at a tea-shop or restaurant. Plenty of time to swap information then.

Usenet is not widely supported anymore, and binary groups even less so. I use a free (eternal-september) account and only get text groups as a result.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

Congratulations!!! Don't lose anything vital on stag nights, that's all I can advise.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai