Is this group dying?

have a nice german one:-)

up of the models (just done a tamiya 35th T 72, dragon SPW 40 and UAZ469 all in E German markings.) ah the newish 48th Eduard Mig 21 too!!!!

us expected it, but after 21 years, both first loves back then it seemed like it never went away, she has a good job and doesnt mind supporting me, the spinal injury has got worse, so mobility is pretty poor, but shes ok with that which is the main thing. got a old campervan (which she hates) but the dogs love it, getting away in the country, just trying to do the inside up at the mo. but wont be done intime for next month when we wanted the honeymoon.

of here, might take a month or 2, i need somewhere better for me, no stairs or at least a toilet on each floor.

museums too, i have some builds there i gave as gifts.

taken back in 90, and my grandathers 65th, kept it ever since;-)

detailed, she bought it my for xmas and i went to town on it.

compare work of other modellers.

makes it much worse, had many pain clinic and hosp visits. luckily my GF is ok with it, knows i cant work, or do a great deal and really understands when its sooo bad, things down below dont work too well, esp due to meds, were trying for a baby when we can.

Photobucket

It is the free photo storage site people over at ARC (Aviation Resource Center) and LSP (Large Scale Planes) use almost exclusively. Works like a champ, I just make sure I don't upload really big pic's just to make viewing quicker.

Here is my photo page. Got a bunch of pic's of works in progress. Even a pic of me on horseback :)

Allan

Reply to
AM

I still check in semi-weekly. Normally not a lot of activity around here. O= ther modeling forums have suffered a decline as well. I still think the for= ums where you can embed photos are superior. Also those forums usually have= breakdowns between genres (air, armor, ships) and some even have breakdown= s within the genre (German, US, modern). I like that style best, keeps me f= rom having to sift through German armor posts I am not interested in readin= g.

Reply to
rgronovius

(for the first time!), hes old, almost 42... he stopped keeping reptiles about 3 years ago, after being taken pretty ill, he then bogged off to germany...came back a few months later a new man.

seen her for years but the love was still there..... awwwwwwwww

to neighbours from hell.

it the old way. i did drop a message to Bill Banziak earlier this year, and got a reply...but the pom just forgot to reply, having so much to sort out ths year... its cos of Rob McClellan off here, dropping me a message saying someone mentioned me, and finding a way to access this group.

fotos of stuff i do, and the odd rant.... jules hacker should bring you straight to my front door.

and i spoke to his family after he died, seems like yesterday.

Hey Jules, welcome back...yeah, life intervenes. I've had some health issues to deal with myself, so it's "first things first" and ten whatever falls out for me too.

I'm actively trying not to start any new models because I'm a couple years away from making my next big (and hopefully final) move...unbuilt kits are easier to move than built ones! But in the meantime I'm working on gather parts for and building a 1:1 scale F-16 flight simulator. But I still look in here about daily...

Reply to
Rufus

ohhhh Something like this:

:-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

That's not a bad start...I follow what these guys are doing and get tons of information here -

Good series of vids on building a kit-pit here -

SC Sims kit prototype info -

I may or may not try and get hold of their ejection seat; I already have a size set of very nice plans for an ACES II replica that I grabbed from Viperpits and have had printed full size.

And I've already bought my ICP kit here -

Call me nutz...AMS at it's most advanced!

Reply to
Rufus

cool. im just about to give a link to some of my fotos on photobucket :-)

Reply to
jules

Jules, it is good to see see you back on r.m.s. and to know that you are still plugging along! :-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Burn the heretic!!

Rob, everyone who is anyone knows that the Germans made the only armour worth building. Just ask Dragon, CyberHobby and Trumpeter...

:D

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

The group really is a shadow of it's former self. I think several things happened. One, the use of the net for sharing hobby info just seems down. I belong to several hobby related (miniature figures and models) Yahoo groups - the posts seem very sparse. One possibility is that, in the old days you had a question r.m.s was a good soource for a rapid answer. Today you can go on a hobby store site and buy a book on almost any aspect of the hobby. Second, as the hobby has developed the kit manufacturers now supply more info on painting etc right on the instruction sheet, or with after market stuff, so there's less questions. Third and not last, some years ago, everytime there was a major IPMS contest, r.m.s was choked with posts complaining about the judging and the models selected for awards. I think this really got the average particpant to drop out - almost everyone I knew personnally and who frequented r.m.s fall into this last category.

One other possibility is we got new members as modeers discussed things in the local hobby shop on Saturday morning - most of the hobby shops are gone.

With the rise in digital cameras one would have expected the r.m.s. binary group would have grown with more examples of actial lbuilds.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Well, in the US that may be the case, but in plenty of countries there is no such sentiment. The cause of dropping off is often easily attributed to web forums, and browsers. The defaults of an OS are all most users seem to be comfortable with, and setting up Usenet accounts is not internal to main-stream browsers anymore.

Here in Japan there is no IPMS, and clubs are generally very small, just a dozen or so members meeting up once a month, and enjoying time in a rented room, and afterwards at a tea-shop or restaurant. Plenty of time to swap information then.

Usenet is not widely supported anymore, and binary groups even less so. I use a free (eternal-september) account and only get text groups as a result.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

i know i lost access to this group the way i had used it for the years befo= re when my ISP dropped all groups, and so it wasnt until the other week, i = had not been on here for years.

i dont use any forums, i tried a couple but would get lost and confused. at= least with FB which i hate, i can put fotos up there, see my my modelling = mates fotos and the model related groups on there.

Im just doing the base for my 48th Eduard MiG 21, and working on the hobby = heaven resissue of the 70's Ford, which im doing as a undercover cop car. = i had to put it on hold for a couple of years, until i got a decent compres= sor that could handle the real car paint for the body shell.

How many years is it since Al Super**ski (could never remember his name) di= ed. used to have good long chats on the fone with him.

a couple of weeks ago, i popped 2 posts in other groups that i used, that w= ere busy, a alzheimers group (i lost my old man finally to it this Apr) and= a herp, reptile group. not a single reply

Anyway, back to model making....its my stag night sat, then the wedding a w= eek on Sat. yay someone is really daft enough to marry me!

Reply to
jules

Congratulations!!! Don't lose anything vital on stag nights, that's all I can advise.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug