This group is dying!

Wow. For several days now, the message count has been in the range of 2 or 3. I remember when it was fifty times that. What is happening?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Probably all the spam here. If you're a technological luddite like I am, trying to access thru a newsreader was/is a major PIA, so I end up using Google. So, I get all the crap here. It's so much easier (and tends to be more informative) going to forums like HS, MM, ARC, etc, IMHO. I do miss the good ole' days here, sometimes. I remember when RMS was THE place to be for modelling info, tho. Sad=85

Reply to
Don McIntyre

it will be back...as for me, I've been watching the stock market and with the realization that retirement is just a dream, well buying a model for $$$ is getting a bit lower on the list.... and we have had the baseball playoffs, college and pro football, basketball and hockey too. oh and the election....we are more than a bit distracted now.....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Yeah, folks are busy and there are lots of other forums out there. Pretty much all of them go through the same cycle. For example, back

5 yrs ago or so I was checking on RMS regularly then kind of switched to a few other with more limited foci, stuff I was more interested in specifically. But I'm back!

Steve

Reply to
stevebrauning

...so it's not just me...putting it in terms of how much I USED to have vs how long it took to amass it, I'd say I've lost about 15 years of my life...

...OTOH, I've been busy noodling with my guitar stuff, and contemplating my next financial moves just like everyone else. Will probably do my capitalistic/consumeristic duty and go on a buying jag over the holidays...just waiting for the bottom along with all the rest of the bottom feeders...

Reply to
Rufus

metal, buy some. if you can find 1 oz stuff, that is. people are bailing on the market and going hard asset. i say platinum first, silver second, palladium 3rd then gold. ALL are at 2 year lows. silver is half what it was last year. if you want mint stuff, but now. they are almost out of blanks..

Reply to
someone

I watched the bottom fall out of the silver market during my college days, but I gotta agree...hard trading goods are better than paper and a promise.

Reply to
Rufus

Been here for many years now (my old 386 - like 1990 maybe) - and it really was very active in the past - one of the things I really liked was it wasn't specialized. Periodically there would be a move to split the group into ships, planes, figures etc. But what many of us liked was you got hints and comments from folks in other aspects of the hobby that also applied to your interests. Somehow we even managed to survive a few classic trolls - don't mention their names they may come back - just say "you know who - who posted whatever". The web groups have pretty pictures and are in some cases moderated which kills the spam - I'd still like to see this group revitalized.

Val Kraut

"/is a major PIA, so I end up using Google. So, I get all the crap here. It's so much easier (and tends to be more informative) going to forums like HS, MM, ARC, etc, IMHO. I do miss the good ole' days here, sometimes. I remember when RMS was THE place to be for modelling info, tho. Sad?

Reply to
Val Kraut

artifiacial situation caused by market manipulation. atypical and not repeatable. i checked bags of coins for a dealer for rare/unusual stuff and made out well. he gave me one of the 1893s morgans i found. not the best,but quite nice. check out the au price. by "gave" i mean charged me ask minus the percentage. if you had bought platinum 2 years ago or so, you could have made $1500 dollars an ounce. but now buy it for when the dollar is completely worthless. about thanksgiving, i think. also got the rare merc and overdates. and permanent eyestrain.

Reply to
someone

I got an 1889 New Orleans mint Morgan...dirty, but well defined and not worn much at all.

..."artificially manipulated market"..."atypical and not repeatable"...like the Great Depression...hmmnnn...call me paranoid, but I don't trust much of much anymore...

Reply to
Rufus

Val Kraut wrote: : : Been here for many years now (my old 386 - like 1990 maybe) - : I was reading RMS on a NCD - Network Computing Device. Eventually got one in color!

Nice thing about working for a computer company was the hardware. One of my primary machines would compile the BSD 4.3 source in around 4 hours. Everybody else was resigned to overnight. :-)

Of course, today, my two dual-core Athalons compile the FreeBSD 6x source in around 1.5 hours. And the box has four gig of memory.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Most builders long ago moved on to the message boards on the established modeling sites like Hyperscale, Armorama, Missing Lynx, Military Modelling (note the British spelling), and so on. No trolling or spam, lots of graphics, and people can upload photos of their projects. I come here mostly out of habit, but nearly all the stuff I pay attention to is found on those dedicated websites. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

the market could be manipulated and abused, but the hunt bros method will not work. new laws and some very bitter people will and have outlived the hunts. one of my favorite boston coin dealers killed himself after silver futures collapsed and he lost it all.

Reply to
someone

I'm starting to wonder is all markets aren't "artificial"...we're all only rich or poor on paper, these days. I'm increasingly certain that all markets are manipulated. Problem is, people are just beginning to wake up to how much power they actually have in manipulating them...just stop buying, and look what happens...

Reply to
Rufus

rote:

My dad picked up an 1844 gold dollar loosely mounted in a ring (ring was a U-shaped channel in cross-section and the coin was loose in that, not soldered) for a necklace back in 1933 when gold was removed from the market. He was a teller at a bank and bought the piece from the old lady who was turning it in. He scored it as a gift for my mom (because it was mounted, it was considered jewelry, not currency). Very Fine condition even now; the coin was worth about $17.00 in the

50's, up to $36.00 in the 80's. God alone knows what it's worth now.
Reply to
The Old Man

Hi there.

I think the three big things and reasons people gravitated from rec.models.scale and now use other forums are: 1) they have to access the newsgoups via Google and 2) they get tired of all of the SPAM and

3) they get tired of all the off-topic replies to posts.

It is really too bad as members of this group have been extremely helpful to me in the past. That is why I stil pop in and check it out regularily.

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2