Midpoint dimensioning

I must be missing something here, but here goes: When I'm in a sketch, and adding dimensions, sometimes the midpoint of an edge will "light up" (meaning i can use that as a reference). Ok, sounds good.. I click it... and *pop*, the dimension line thinks the point I just clicked (midpoint) is somewheres else completly.. ok, i'll just press "ok" and delete it later..*pop*, it goes somewheres else!, ok, so now I'm dimensioning a sketch line with a point that seems in the middle of nowhere! does anyone find this useful? or is my installation just messed up? .. Doing a midpoint relation seems fine.. but i cant actually add a dimension that gives a distance to a midpoint.

Andre Richard

Reply to
Andr? Richard

Seems to work fine here. Can you give a more detailed step by step example?

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

just constrain a point or whatever to the midpoint, and dimension to it.

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

He's talking about sketch mode......it works in drawings but not in sketches

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

You can dimension to a midpoint in a sketch if you RMB and select midpoint before selecting anything else. In other words, hit the dim tool, right click on the line you want the midpoint dim to, and "select midpoint". Now select the other entity

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

My god You're right ......sure need new glasses Checked in 2003 and there I had the midpoint option hidden in the short menu pulldown.....hmmm

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

As Richard says, if you want to do this, the RMB, Select Midpoint is the way to go. This is one of those things that "should" work better, but doesn't. I'd recommend some other way of doing it, like using a centerline or midpoint relationships.

Weird things happen even when you use the RMB Select Midpoint. For example, if you draw a line, escape the line command, RMB Select Midpoint, then draw a sketch point at the midpoint of the line, you get an error that says that you can't make a point on an existing point or something to that effect.

Anyway, I would use mirror, symmetry or midpoint relations rather than dimensioning from a midpoint.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@3dluvr.com (Andr? Richard) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

When the cursor is over the line and rmb and select midpoint, does this give you the same result?

Reply to
Keith Streich