Newbie question: Relations

Hi All,

Can someone please point me at a description of SW "Relations". I am very new to this great tool, but I can't find a description of what exactly a relation does.

I initially thought that it was used to associate to entities. I generated a pair of verticals, then created a vertical relation. Changing one of the vertical lengths didn't alter the other some so I am quite confused.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Reply to
MarkAren

You are on track, but not interpreting quite the way "Vertical" really works.

Vertical merely means that in the sketch, but nothing else.

If you want two lines to be parallel, then select the two & click "Parallel" or "Perpendicular" if that is what you want.

If you have two lines that are "Parallel" and you want them to remain that way, you can put a construction line between each of the ends "Perpendicular" and the dimension on one line will drive the other line length to be the same as the first line.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Hi Bo,

Many thanks.

Is there anywhere that this is all written down.

It seems like it should be a topic for a tutorial or a background document.

-Mark.

Reply to
MarkAren

I think the "old" paper tutorial had some discussion & examples, and I am sure the existing "Help" files will get you in fine shape.

Search Help for "Sketch" & then go down the list and double click on "Sketch Relations".

Later - Bo

Reply to
Bo

Hi Bo,

Many thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

-Mark

Reply to
MarkAren

The statement here is that you want them to remain parallel - they will do that until the parallel relation is removed - nothing else is required.

If you want them to stay the same length, then add an equal relation - the lengths will then stay matched.

If you want the ends to stay horizontal to each other, add that relation. If the lines are not vertical or horizontal, but you still want other relations, add what's need in that case.

The whole point here is to add what you need as relations, when possible, rather than creating extra geometry that doesn't actually produce a surface or solid. I know that sometimes that's not possible, but a yet a good practice to learn right from the start.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Do they still teach Geometry in high school? I remember taking geometry first semester of high school back in '71. We learned what parallel, perpendicular, horizontal, vertical and tangent meant. I think we learned what equal means some years earlier. Don't make it harder than it is. As you start experimenting click and drag lines arcs or endpoints and by observation and logic you should be able to figure out what relations are needed to constrain your sketches. Also experiment with using construction lines to help constrain your sketches. And the construction lines help someone else quickly figure out your geometry when it comes time to edit. I haven't used construction lines this much since leaving the drawing board nearly 20 years ago!

Reply to
jmather

Hi Wayne,

Many thanks, you provide lucid insight with few words.

I am struggling through the examples and still can't get my head around a "Coincident Relation". I need to attach the mid-point of a folded piece of sheet metal to the mid-point of a sketch above it for allow me to add a tab. It appears that the mechanism to connect these mid points is the use of a Coincident Relation. This will ensure that the Tab is centred on the folded piece.

The folded piece is Black, so I think that means that it is resolved, and therefore fixed. The sketch is blue, so I assume that it will move towards, and attach to the folded piece when I have completed the operation correctly.

Are my observations and assumptions correct ? I have spent quite a while right clicking mid points of lines, only to see them vanish when I right click the surface that I want to attach to. I have seen A Coincident pop up in "add relation" once, but trying to accept it told me that illegal geometry would result.

Any indicators to what I am doing wrong will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Reply to
MarkAren

Right.

Black and blue have meaning in the sketch only. The part has whatever color it has and won't move if it is fixed or mated properly.

Unfortuantely, midpoint selections are pretty flakey. They work sometimes and sometimes they don't. For me, it's usually the latter, so I tend not to use them. I do things like put a point on the line and then give it the midpoint relation, or put a line perpendicular to the line and add a midpoint relation to the end point of the added line.

This was probably something else happening. The move that the relation was forcing might have been shortening a line down to 0 length, for example.

Jerry Steiger