sketch relations suddenly quit sw2006 sp5.1

prior session everything working normal ... open swx and work on existing subassy .... Editing Part1 in context of assembly and making a hole related to hole in Part2.

Sketch relations seem to have disappeared, whether created automatically or manually, but only when relating to a hole or other circular feature in another component. When sketching a circle in Part1 everything appears normal, i.e. the plus icon appears when the cursor passes over the circular edge feature in Part2, and the new sketched circle is formed at the plus icon location, so the new Part1 circle is in the correct position. The problem is that the center point is not constrained. I can also convert entities from the Part2 feature to the Part1 sketch, and again, the circle looks right, but is not constrained. If I select the Part2 circle and the circle entity in Part1, there is no way to manually create a relation between the two. Relating the new sketch entity to line midpoints, vertices, etc still works, surprisingly.

Tried different assemblies, restarted swx, rebooted machine, no change.

Couldn't find any option settings that seemed relevant or had any effect.

Copied subassy over to my laptop, and constraints work normal there. Comparing the two machines, couldn't find any differences in the screens for Tools>Options>System Options>Sketch and Relations/Snaps.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Bill,

Have you toggled the SolidWorks command On that allows you to not create External References? It is in your Assembly toolbar.

See image file:

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

That must have been the culprit. I've never even noticed that icon before. I had just found the same control in Tools>Options>External References. Thanks, Bill

bill allemann

And the bad part about that stupid ICON is you can't get rid of it. You can customize the menu and remove it but it reappears. Almost like stink on %&(*@. It goes away if the winds blowing the right direction but always stinks.

Not sure what the issue is on your computer. I have no problems removing the icon from my toolbar and having it stay removed.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

If I do a customize and drag that icon off of the Command Manager menu, then close and exit Solidworks and then reopen, the menu is right back where it was before. I've reported it but haven't heard anything. It's been that way for all of V2007 and that includes having to reformat and completely reinstall everything as well.

J.

Are you on a domain?

Do you have administrative privelege on your account? It sounds like you might be having problems writing to the registry which could be permissions or virus checker related.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

No I'm not on a domain, and yes I do have administrative rights. I can modify and change any menu without any problems but that icon will not stay away. All the other changes I've made to menus stay except for the removal of this one.