Newbie Question snapping

Hi All,

This is a link to something I am working on. I'm extremely new to SW and I'm trying to make some holes in a part. You can see the first set of holes aligned around the first circle. There will be two more sets aligned along the secondary and tertiary circles along the construction lines.

The problem is I can't seem to figure out how to snap the center of the circles (that will form the holes) to the intersection of the larger "placement" circle and the lines.

I thought it was when the icon shows an intersection, but if I zoom in to view after placing the circle it doesn't align to the intersection. So how do I turn on snap to intersection? The only option I could find was already turned on.

Thanks,

Max

Reply to
Max

Looks like you are thinking AutoCAD.

If I was doing this:

  1. Extrude the rectangle by itself.
  2. Use the HoleWizard to place one hole on the inner radius.
  3. Repeat for each additional bolt hole circle.
  4. Pattern all three holes if they have the same count. Otherwise pattern each set separately.

TOP

PS Look in help for hole wizard and circular pattern.

Reply to
TOP

Max,

Here is an example on how to go about doing what you wish. Like TOP says read the Help on Hole Wizard and Patterns. Hole Wizard Holes, with Patterns and Feature Driven Patterns are very powerful features. These are some of the most used features in the tool and automation designs we do.

It is a SolidWorks 2007 file, hopefully you will be able to open it.

Regards,

Anna Wood

\> Hi All,

Reply to
Anna Wood

TOP and Anna,

Thanks for the responses. TOP, yup I'm an AutoCAD convert, and I'm beginning to think that it's a disadvantage.

I'll check out hole wizard. I think I tried it once already and I still couldn't get the holes aligned properly, because there isn't any references to go off of. I have to make my own references and the only way to do that was in sketch mode. I'll take another look though.

-Max

Reply to
Max

once you are in the hole wizard, you can sketch almost anything you want. throw some lines on there! you can even use the sketch that you have already started with.

did you know that you can pick two lines (hold the control key and pick the lines) and then hit a sketch point? this sketch point will now be at the intersection. now, you can put your circle at the intersection (it will 'snap' to it).

good luck and have fun. if this isn't clear, well, just ask again. we are here to help.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

How did you draw your hole circles? If I draw the bolt circles and intersecting lines first and then draw hole circles by picking at the intersection, I get holes whose center point has an intersection relation with the bolt circle and the line. (I have "Automatic Relations" checked under Tools/Options/System Options/Sketch/Relations/Snaps. I don't get any relations if that is unchecked.)

When you have an existing hole circle that you want to place at the intersection, you can control select the center point, the bolt hole circle and the line and then pick "Intersection" in the "Add Relations" Box in the Property Manager.

Jerry Steiger