Dimensional Help Please - Foreshortened Radius

Hi Folks.

Here is my situation. I have a very large radius which I am dimensioning in a drawing, the center of which is off the drawing.

I can effectively alter the large radius dimension using properies and foreshorten it. This all works as planned.

But, I see no way to bind the dimensions for the center of the radius to the center once the radius dimension is foreshrtened. The dims for the centerline are still off the page.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Not sure if this is exactly what you want as I may be miss understanding you however maybe this will give you a good idea as to where to go from where you are at..

only way I have found to do this is:

1 create the dimension as normal (or import model item dimension)
Reply to
RENDERMAN

just thinking outloud, break view

Reply to
kenneth b

RMB on radius dimension Select Properties Check the box next to Foreshortened Radius (see SW help also)

Kman

Reply to
Kman

guess not

you could use a note (link to dims) and specify the center as x,y coordinates. we are talking about the linear placement of the center, are we not?

Reply to
kenneth b

With large 'off the page' dimensions try the following (I use it all the time when dimensioning detail views):

RMB on dim and select properties. Select 'Display' button on dialogue box, De-select one of the extension and dimension lines (i.e. either the first or the second - it will depend which section of the drawing view is still visible), and de-select the centre dimension between extension lines. OK this (twice for the 2 dialogue boxes). You will now find that you have a shortened dimension that you can drag around to get the length required.

HTH

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Reply to
SWuser

OK what I'm about to suggest isn't binding but pictorially it gets the job done. I almost hate to say this because I used to rag on people who would fake dimensions in AutoCAD.

Create the foreshortened radius dimension Place a sketch point that appears to be on the end of foreshortened dimension line Dimension from this sketch point to wherever Type over the in properties with the value desired

Merry's suggestion is best and would also add a note next to the dimension "to center of radius" or something like that.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Merry,

Nice elegant solution. I like this one. It's a bit "hokey" that we have to do it this way but it will work and does not look to bad when all is said and done.

Thanks again-

SMA

And thanks to all who gave me a boost - (Steve, Kenneth, Kman, Merry)

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams