Drafting questions - Wildfire

Q1: How do you dimension the centre for a large radius, ie its centre is off the sheet?

[at the moment I bodge it by drawing lines and using notes to 'create' a dimension - not very clever]

If you create a false centre point within the sheet area and dimension from there it will apply the actual dimension - which leads to:

Q2: Is there a fix which allows you to replace the dimenion text? as I can see you can only add to it - it has to have the driving dimension symbol in the properties box.

Q3: On a similiar theme, I want create two dimensions each side of a centre line to show equality - that is replace the dimension text with an '=' sign - any ideas? - or is this not standadrd practice?

Cheers, Sean

Reply to
Sean Kerslake

Sean, two points regarding center dimensioning of arcs which run off the paper or out of the view. The first is that there is a configuration option in your detail file called CLIP_DIAMETER_DIMENSION which should break the dimension line and add a double arrow to the end which doesn't reach the center point. This option should be set to 'yes'. A similar option applies to linear dimensions called CLIP_DIMENSIONS.

It might be better, however, to reconfigure your dimensioning scheme to eliminate references to the center point. You can do this in sketcher by dimensioning from a datum to a tangent of the arc. Then, you will have a diametral (or radial) and linear dimension. It may also be necessary to dimension the end points of the arcs to fully constrain it. Also, when you are showing dimensions, don't pick this radii with center points off the screen to show their centers. They will show (off the sheet) and possibly cause strange printing problems.

If I understand you other question about dimension text correctly, you are referring to the symbol that stands for a certain dimsion, like d0, d1. On the properties page for dimension text, you'll see, in the top part, an area for adding notes and symbols to turn the dimension effectively into a parametric note. Below, though, is a symbol name in the box marked name which you can also modify. Edit this text to say something more descriptive of the feature. This name will be shown when you do 'Info>Switch dims'.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes