A few transmission line equipment questions

Hello,
I have a few more questions about equipment I've seen on transmission lines. I googled a bit but was not able to confirm my guesses, so I came to you guys.
Here are my questions:
Q1: Is this some kind of sensor (maybe vibration sensor)?:
http://avtanski.net/tmp/power3.jpg
If so, how does it work, and how it is read?
Q2: I'm pretty sure this is a vibration damper, but would like to confirm it:
http://avtanski.net/tmp/power4.jpg
Q3: Is this a splice in the line?
http://avtanski.net/tmp/power5.jpg
Thanks,
- Alex
On 14/05/2012 12:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

googled a bit but was not able to confirm my guesses, so I came to you guys. Here are my questions:

q1) don't know but doubt it. You are looking at a (highter level) distribution line which would have a relatively short span which would not require damping. q2) It looks as if someone got fancy with the wire tying the conductor to the insulator definitely distribution. It's location, and the wire used appears to support this, not damping. q3)Yes
--
Don Kelly
cross out to reply
On Monday, May 14, 2012 6:06:44 PM UTC-7, Don Kelly wrote:

     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

googled a bit but was not able to confirm my guesses, so I came to you guys. Here are my questions:

It looks like a neon warning light for night time, which glows with the electric field across it. I haven't seen ones looking exactly like that before though. Check again in the dark, as they often aren't bright enough to see glowing in daylight.

It's a lightning arcing point, so that if the line is struck, the arc goes from that to the metal hook on the cross arm (which you can see has an earth wire attached). It prevents the arc going across the surface of the insulator, which can wreck the insulator by cracking it or leaving a condensed metal plasma path over the surface.

I suspect so.
--
Andrew Gabriel
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

These are what we call distribution lines. Probably about 12 kV.

Possibly some kind of sensor. I doubt its vibration. More likely an ammeter used for temporary installations. It might be read remotely (r.f. link), or by removing it and downloading a record from some internal storage.

Nope. What you are seeing is the ends of the tie wires (used to fasten the line to the insulator). Its common practice to make loops out of the free ends rather then let them stick out and become corona discharge (and RFI) sources.

Perhaps a splice. But also this could be a sleeve used to protect the conductor where it passes over a pin insulator. Often when a pole is relocated, they don't bother taking these off.
You can see one of these wrappings in your power4.jpg.
Thank you guys, I'm reading now about all the things that you mentioned. Very interesting.
- Alex
On Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:48:25 PM UTC-7, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

And, of course, I forgot to include in my reply the most important thing - that, thanks to you guys, I found what the mysterious sensor is - an Auto Ranger 360 fault indicator:
http://www.selinc.com/FCI/Overhead/AutoRANGER_AR360 /
On their site there's even video of it flashing, if somebody is interested.
Thanks once again,
- Alex
On Friday, June 8, 2012 10:00:44 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And now we all know. Thank you