A few transmission line equipment questions

Hello,

I have a few more questions about equipment I've seen on transmission lines. I googled a bit but was not able to confirm my guesses, so I came to you guys. Here are my questions:

Q1: Is this some kind of sensor (maybe vibration sensor)?:

If so, how does it work, and how it is read?

Q2: I'm pretty sure this is a vibration damper, but would like to confirm it:

Q3: Is this a splice in the line?

Thanks,

- Alex

Reply to
avtanski

googled a bit but was not able to confirm my guesses, so I came to you guys. Here are my questions:

q1) don't know but doubt it. You are looking at a (highter level) distribution line which would have a relatively short span which would not require damping. q2) It looks as if someone got fancy with the wire tying the conductor to the insulator definitely distribution. It's location, and the wire used appears to support this, not damping. q3)Yes

Reply to
Don Kelly

Thanks Don,

If the thing on the second picture had turned out to be damper, my next que= stion would be how the heck it works. But now when you mention it, I see t= hat it really is just a (nonstandard? high-tech? ad-hoc?) twist tie.

Now if somebody has any idea what the blue things on the first picture are,= I'd be very grateful. If you look carefully, there is one on each conduct= or, so it's not like some toy accidentally got stuck there.

Thanks,

- Alex

P.S. If you are wondering why I'm asking all those questions about power li= nes, I'm wondering too. Recently I just started to notice them all of a su= dden. It's probably just a matter of time I'll walk into something because= I spent more and more time looking up instead of watching where I go.

ines. I googled a bit but was not able to confirm my guesses, so I came to = you guys. Here are my questions:

Reply to
avtanski

googled a bit but was not able to confirm my guesses, so I came to you guys. Here are my questions:

It looks like a neon warning light for night time, which glows with the electric field across it. I haven't seen ones looking exactly like that before though. Check again in the dark, as they often aren't bright enough to see glowing in daylight.

It's a lightning arcing point, so that if the line is struck, the arc goes from that to the metal hook on the cross arm (which you can see has an earth wire attached). It prevents the arc going across the surface of the insulator, which can wreck the insulator by cracking it or leaving a condensed metal plasma path over the surface.

I suspect so.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

These are what we call distribution lines. Probably about 12 kV.

Possibly some kind of sensor. I doubt its vibration. More likely an ammeter used for temporary installations. It might be read remotely (r.f. link), or by removing it and downloading a record from some internal storage.

Nope. What you are seeing is the ends of the tie wires (used to fasten the line to the insulator). Its common practice to make loops out of the free ends rather then let them stick out and become corona discharge (and RFI) sources.

Perhaps a splice. But also this could be a sleeve used to protect the conductor where it passes over a pin insulator. Often when a pole is relocated, they don't bother taking these off.

You can see one of these wrappings in your power4.jpg.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Thank you guys, I'm reading now about all the things that you mentioned. Very interesting.

- Alex

Reply to
avtanski

And, of course, I forgot to include in my reply the most important thing - that, thanks to you guys, I found what the mysterious sensor is - an Auto Ranger 360 fault indicator:

On their site there's even video of it flashing, if somebody is interested.

Thanks once again,

- Alex

interesting.

Reply to