Lock Questions

Hello, I have a couple of questions about locks for this group. I have listed two links to pics here that help illustrate my questions...

1) I have seen this on a few locks and I'm not sure about it. What is the hole under the keyway for??
2) I saw this lock at I couldn't figure it out. What is the purpose of / how does this lock work??
Thanks for any/all assistance

-Luther

Reply to
Luther Bell

Just kidding, those links don't work...use these...

pic for 1)

pic for 2)

-Luther

Reply to
Luther Bell

If you want to post the public links to your photos here than possibly you may have a chance of someone answering your questions...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

It's just a drain hole.

It's a lockbox to store the door key in. Used mostly by real estate people to show homes off.

Reply to
Me

Cool, Thank you..One more question..I took that padlock out of commission becuase it seems that one of the pins dropped into the keyway keeping a key from entering. How can I pull the plug out to fix it?

-Luther

Reply to
Luther Bell

actually they don't use combo any more.. have VERY pricy electronic locks now, but that one is made so you can leave a friend a key, give then the code so they can get the key to get the door open.. usually.. or similar situations..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

takes the core key to turn the plug.. you SURE you got a pin dropped? would be VERY odd.. turn it pins down, and gently tap on it with a soft hammer while putting the key in..

a Best can be considered in a way either 6 or 7 different lock pin stacks, pinned separately, due to the way its capped..and unless 'something' got in there and did something to a stack, you should be able to get a key in.

BTW, make CERTAIN you got the RIGHT keyway.. there are LOTS of them..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

As the other person mentioned it is a drainage hole to allow water to escape if it enters the lock from the top while open... It also allows for someone to apply lubricant if the lock ever becomes corroded in the locked position...

As to your second question about the padlock, it is an interchangeable core padlock and the core will not come out without the control key that it is combinated to... If you don't have that control key, or the core is damaged in some way so that keys can not be inserted or turned, it will most likely have to be drilled and destroyed in order to remove it from the lock...

As someone already said, it is a lockbox for holding keys at the lock... Given the context of the scene, I would say that the intitutional building was having some work done inside of the are secured by that door and that is where the keys for the contractor's use where left...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Bring the control key and the operating keys with the padlock to your local locksmith. If you have a spare core you might want to bring that too in case it too far gone.

IIRC that is about a $100 padlock so I would not attempt to do it yourself.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Not likely a dropped pin. More likely dry and/or dirty. Spray it with WD40 to clean it out, blow the WD40 out with an air gun if you can, then lubricate it with a silicone based lubricant like DuPont's Pure Silicone Lubricant. WD40 alone, would only be a temporary fix as it contains solvents that soon evaporate. The WD40 you can get anywhere, DuPont's Pure Silicone Lubricant can be found in better auto supply houses.

Me