remove HARLOC deadbolt - one more time

I'm starting to catch on. Went to the cabin - rotated cylinder +/- 10 degrees and I see that what I thought were plugs are in fact holes in the inside front plate that are backed by a plate that rotates with the cylinder. From your comments I understand that if I had the key I could rotate the cylinder to a location where there would be holes in the rotating plate that would line up with the holes in the front plate - at which time I could use a phillips head screw driver to remove screws that hold in the lock.?!

The lock is probably 75 years old and I don't mind buying a new one.

This being the case are my reasonable options (1) hire a locksmith to go up there and pick the lock. Then I could remove & replace old lock or he could maybe make me a key? Assumes that blanks for the HARLOC are still around?

(2) take a drill and drill thru the pins - then put in a screw driver and rotate the cylinder to where I can remove the screws.

Am I getting it right?

Dick

Reply to
dickknox

are the holes at 3 and 9 o clock from the key hole? drill the screws out.. the COVER is what rotates, the screws dont.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yes a key can be made. I also suspect that the lock is not 75 years old.

Yes, but if you attempt to drill it out be careful so as not to bugger anything up.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The holes (approx 0.25 inch dia) are at 4:30 oclock and 7:30 oclock. The holes expose a plate that rotates with the cylinder. I assume that the rotating plate also has holes that will line up with the holes in the front plate, exposing the screws?

Reply to
dickknox

yes.. ONCE the plate is rotated, with the key.. and since you dont have the key.,.. carefully drill there where the hole opening is in the top plate the screws underneath are FIXED.. just the cover plate moves-think a shutter.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Shiva - got it- thanks - Dick Contrary to my prior message, holes are at 3 and 9 oclock. I gather that in your opinion it is better to drill thru the shutter plate to expose the screws as compared with drilling thru the pins to allow me to use a screw driver instead of a key to rotate the cylender.

Reply to
dickknox

drill the shutter plate..

--Shiva--