Ideas for Inspection Drawings

Hello- I work for a small manufacturer and have gradually been learning and applying Pro/E to our processes over the past year or so. I would like to apply Pro/E to our inspection procedures by creating a template that would allow me to quickly create an inspection print with a table, preferably associative to the main print, that lists major dimensions of interest, with a column for written-in measured dimensions.

Do any of you have ideas or suggestions for such a template? I could create a Word document for this, but it seems like a waste of Pro/E. I haven't had good luck creating my own. Repeat regions and dimensions don't seem to work well with each other, and I am going mad trying to figure out an easy way to use parameters or relations to create such a beast. I've been through the Pro/E help dozens of times trying to find relevant info with no luck. I have been learning Pro/Process, but don't know too much about it yet. If you think a Word document is the better solution, I would like to know that too. How do you handle this issue?

Thanks, Brent.

Reply to
Brent Muller

Well... here's one way (maybe the simplest?)

In the drawing create or show the actual dimensions you want. In the table cell, enter & for the dimension you want to inspect. I don't mean literally. Replace with the actual dimension symbol ie: &d21 This puts the associative dimension in the table and erases it from the view. Then _create_ the same dimension in the view, open the dimension properties and change the dimension text to: @O ie: @OA @O means override with whatever you text you want and can only be used on created dimensions. Maybe change the dimension type to inspection to get the symbol circled.

The dimension value in the table will change with the part and the Inspection symbol in the view will remain a static symbol. (as long as you don't redefine the edges out of existance :)

-mark

Reply to
mdR

On Apr 16, 8:34 pm, Brent Muller wrote: > Hello- > I work for a small manufacturer and have gradually been learning and > applying Pro/E to our processes over the past year or so. I would like to > apply Pro/E to our inspection procedures by creating a template that would > allow me to quickly create an inspection print with a table, preferably > associative to the main print, that lists major dimensions of interest, > with a column for written-in measured dimensions. >

Well... here's one way (maybe the simplest?)

In the drawing create or show the actual dimensions you want. In the table cell, enter & for the dimension you want to inspect. I don't mean literally. Replace with the actual dimension symbol ie: &d21 This puts the associative dimension in the table and erases it from the view. Then _create_ the same dimension in the view, open the dimension properties and change the dimension text to: @O ie: @OA @O means override with whatever you text you want and can only be used on created dimensions. Maybe change the dimension type to inspection to get the symbol circled.

The dimension value in the table will change with the part and the Inspection symbol in the view will remain a static symbol. (as long as you don't redefine the edges out of existance :)

-mark

Seems like this could work for one part. But how does this meet OP's requirement for a template? Surely, the &d21 from this part that you put in the table is not going to be the same dimension (if any, if any inspection dim) in the next part!?!

Seems like you need an intermediate step and some manual intervention. Somehow, a limited number of dimensions have to be identified, before hand, as inspection dimensions. Let's assume that there's a practical limit of 20 inspection dimensions (there's never been more than 10 inspection dimensions in any part int he company history and it would be impractical, from an inspection standpoint, to consider, on a regualar basis, more than 5 while SPC will tell you which are the most requiring of checking.

For Pro/e's purposes and for the purpose of populating a table, you need a stable number of parameters that can be used in a generic table. These would be INSP_1, INSP_2, INSP_3, etc. Your start part could contain them, setting them up as Real Numbers. Then, in 'Tools>Relations', these parameters would be assigned the values of dimensions identified by QC as requiring inspection. In Relations, the parameters would be assigned values, such as INSP_1=D33; INSP_2=D45; INSP_3=D21. Then, your tables would all have rows with &INSP_1, &INSP_2, &INSP_3 to give the template its parametric and universal quality. Each table row would show your assigned parametric value. The table could be a template. It could even be saved as a table file with 'Table>Save Table>As Table File' and inserted in any drawing with 'Table>Insert>Table from File'. Or you could save this as a format table which would populate every time you placed the format.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes