Unable to recognize arc and circle in a Solidworks drawing

Hello @ all. I have a problem with solidworks (i use in this moment 2007 version). I have some step file thats and must be create a drawings. when i to try dimensioning arc or circle appear message that is impossible to convert entity in arc or circle .....

How cai i do ?

Thanks for help

Reply to
Sandro

Are you sure the arcs are really arcs? Or are they B-splines that are shaped liked arcs. there is a difference (SW will not dimension B-splines as arcs).

I discovered a strange thing about STEP files. It is possible to convert B-surfaces in some STEP files into cylinders and planes. After importing the STEP file, do a "Save As" to STEP 203 formoat (not STEP

214). Then import the STEP 203 file back into SW. Sometimes that makes entities convert to something simpler and more useful.
Reply to
That70sTick

That70sTick ha scritto:

Ok i done your procedure bat with not satisfy result. In effect the entity is not a really arc or circle in the 3D but is only a cord or b-spline (i think)

But if i save as drawing with dxf format and load with sw , all entity like arc i can dimensionin with arc/circle. I think that sw , in drawing , make in the sheet an exact copy of 3d and not a projection of entity on a plane view. You can see the drawing view in same mode as you can see the 3d . (example , hidden line , shade view , shade view with-out edge , ecc ecc )

I hope that my explanation it's clear. For any dubt please let me now.

By , Sandro from Italy

Reply to
Sandro

Too bad. Sometimes the "STEP 203" trick works, and saves a lot of time. Interesting that the DXF conversion would result in arcs.

Another workaround is to sketch arcs in the drawing that are constrained to model edges. For instance, if a rounded corner does not present itself as an arc, sketch an arc over it and constrain points of the sketched arc to the model edge to create a best-fit arc, and then dimension to that.

Reply to
That70sTick

maybe...

Are your drawing views set to projection or isometric?

Reply to
That70sTick