display nightmare

I recently was relocated to a new area at work. The previous guy mentioned that his monitor would shake once in a while like it was degaussing but it was only temporary. When I moved into his area my monitor began to flutter all the time, it began to flutter less after a week or so but started to become out of focus. I reduced the resolution to get by for a while but this was only a temporary fix. I moved my monitor to another computer in the office and it was still out of focus so I bought a new monitor.

I was a bit disappointed to find my new View Sonic P225F is fuzzy as well. I tried running an extension cord to a different area with no positive results. I relocated my desk to the opposite side of my office and there was an improvement, but nothing to write home about! I don't have the option to swap offices so what are my options? Line fricken my walls with lead? I'm so friggin frustrated right now I could take a bat to the bloody thing!!!

I was kind of hoping it could be a video glitch but do you think I could get any help from PNY, there fricken website is down and I can't find a flippen number anywhere.

Sorry for venting guys, but does anyone have a suggestion I'm at my wits end and I can't think properly anymore!

Reply to
Walms

does there happen to be a big electrical cable in the wall in your new work area? Sounds to me like you're working in the middle of a big magnetic field....

Reply to
Michael

and if you are, you're pretty much SOL-- as far as I know, the only real cure is moving out of the field....

Reply to
Michael

I'm not near any 600 volt equipment, there is a 208 volt breaker box in the vicinity but I'm actually farther away from the breaker panel than I used to be. I wonder if it might be worth my while to have an electrician come out to verify the wiring. We have been setting up a wireless network over the past month, could that be affecting it? I've also tried 15" monitor on my computer and it looks good. Is it possible the 21" monitor is more sensitive to these problems? I've tried my new monitor on other PC in a different area and it seems to be fine as well.

Reply to
Walms

No extender cable. I changed the cable, the VGA to DVI adaptor and tried the

2nd socket on my video card...no luck.
Reply to
Walms

Simple test would be to bring in a compass... if it goes crazy, you've identified the problem, but not necessarily the cause.

The cause could be wires (not necessarily equipment) inside the wall, it could be a steel framing member that's carrying the field from someplace else, it could be an MRI machine on the other side of the wall, etc.... As somebody else pointed out, it could be a defective extension cable.

As to your question about monitor size coming into it--yes, a bigger monitor should be worse, since the electron path from the gun is longer... the field has a longer time to act on the electron before it gets to the phosphor....

One possible solution, if you can justify the $$, would be an LCD monitor.

Reply to
Michael

Walms,

Pretty typical EMF symtoms. I have some 600KV 3 phase lines close to my house. They're mounted in out of phase pairs so allot of the EMF is cancelled, but thier's still enough to mess with my monitor. What I found was that by setting the monitor to 60hz (yuk) solved the problem in my case. The only reason I can think of is that I'm being affected by a single wire (the closest one), and that these 60 cycle waves are in synch with my monitor. This type of energy degrades with distance real fast. 20 feet away there's no effect at all, unfortunatly, that's in the living room.

An LCD monitor will probably be the best solution. You can get a good one for about $700.00

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Are you using an extension on the video cable?

Reply to
Jeff Norfolk

I feel your pain. I have seen a couple things cause this. One was a secretary that was always cold and had an electric heater plugged into the same power strip as computer stuff (fans will cause the same kind of problem). The most recent, and harder to discover, was caused by a large color printer/copier that was in the same power circuit. It was weird because if the copier/printer was not used for a while it would go into power-save and the problem would go away. Then whenever a print job went there and it had to heat up the drum again the monitor would go dim and start to oscillate. Monitors next to each other cause something similar. Good luck.

Reply to
EricSIG

Did you reseat the graphics card, verify that the wall socket's ground is good (and your connections to it) or try the monitor on a second computer at the same location?

Disconnect any phome or network lines?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

I tried a LCD monitor today and it was crystal clear. I contacted View Sonic to send me a replacement monitor to rule out a defective monitor. If it's not that I'm going to trade it in for the LCD. Thanks for all the imput guys!

Reply to
Walms

Howcum nobody has suggested a Faraday cage? Use 1/4" "constuction cloth" (wire mech with 1/4" spacing) and make sure the monitor is completely enclosed, but with at least a 1/2" clearance all around. Create a "funnel" shaped extension out away from the monitor screen front, and put a slot shaped viewing "tunnel" at the end at a comfortable eye level. Of course you have to make sure the cage is well grounded. I know it sounds like a kluge (it is), but I'd almost bet it'll work. If it works it would let your bosses know you are quite right about the EMF problem also, even if they look at you strange. At least they'll take your complaint seriously. But do it on a weekend so they don't think you're entirely crazy if it doesn't work.

But I'd also bet that Mark Mossberg's solution (a TFT screen) would suit you better.

'Spork'

Reply to
Sporkman

"Sporkman" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootYETI.com...

I would do that to the whole room, as low frequency magnetic fields are suspected to be harmfull to health.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN