Dongles

Who owns the dongle as used in the UK, SolidWorks or company that has bought the license to use the software?

Reply to
Simon Miller

Probably SW. Why do you ask?

Reply to
TOP

I have upgraded our pc's and the new ones do not come with a parallel port. This means our parallel port dongles do not work. Who should be responsible for unlocking the software, me or Solidworks?

Reply to
Simon Miller

"Simon Miller" wrote in news:d6fncg$k0$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

You can get a usb dongle.

Reply to
matt

Yes this is why I have started this. We too are being asked to buy new dongles, but considering the price is pretty high I want to know my rights before purchase. It's just another bitter pill to swallow, the software is more expensive than in America and they don't not have to deal with dongles, in fact I believe that they are allowed to install a copy of SolidWorks for home use! I have kept up our subscriptions for all seats since we started with SW98+, surely I don't have to spend another £400 just to continue using there software!

Sim>> I have upgraded our pc's and the new ones do not come with a parallel

Reply to
Simon Miller

You can also buy a cheap PCI parallel port card and use the existing dongles. A quick Froogle search shows them less than US$10.

Art

Reply to
Art Woodbury

They are Dell M70 Laptops!

Reply to
Simon Miller

Oops! Didn't know that. How about a USB to Parallel adaptor:

Art Woodbury

Perhaps a compromise could be worked out between you, and your VAR. IE. you agree to pay for the dongles, and they agree to credit that same amount towards next years' maintenance. That would be a win-win for the both of you.

Reply to
Brian

Watch out for those. We tried one for our M70, and I think it "smoked" the parallel dongle. The dongle didn't work after that.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

Double oops. I hereby retract all advice ;)

Question: Is piracy is more prevalent outside the US? Does a dongle give any better IP protection than a password? It certainly makes life more difficult for people who need to travel with the software or work at home. Judging from the spam, there seems to be a crack for everything. Locks on doors keep out "honest" people -- real thieves go through them without breaking stride.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

I never quite understood the price differential. I know Europe taxes things quite a bit more than in the U.S.A.

I hope that is 400 quid for all your seats. The VARs in the States are charging for all kinds of services now as well. The parallel to USB changeover has been around for some time, but it is SW that is protecting their property, not you. Since they won't let you sell SW to another I would kind of think that it is up to them to eat the cost of upgrading with the subscription renewal.

Reply to
TOP

I am not sure if piracy is more prevalent outside the US or not, but all off the cracked software that gets offered to me are US versions and have no reference to dongles or how to crack them. I always promote SolidWorks and on several occasions been asked by my VAR to talk to potential SolidWorks customers to answer specific questions. I have also put people in touch with my VAR which have resulted in a sale for them, but here I sit, just after spending £3000 on subscriptions and not able to use my software! I am a little peeved to say the least.

Hello SOLIDWORKS, call NTCADCAM and let them know your decision.

Simon Miller SGM Design Ltd T/A Cube3

Reply to
Simon Miller

Actually I think it is unbelievable. We bought an additionall licence, that came with an usb dongle but we would like to have the parrallel dongle. And for an exchange we had to pay.

What about the replacement of broken usb dongles? I heard with the usb dongle it is more common to break the dongle cause of use on laptops an the fragile design.

I think the should replace them for free. Even the cost for sending should be teken by them.

johnny

Reply to
johnny geling

When I last enquired about a yaer ago the going rate to replace a parallel dongle with a USB one was GB=A3135

I wanted this to use on a Shuttle PC which did not have a parallel port

- fixed this by adding a parallel port that just plugs into the MB - cost me GB=A33.50 been working ever since.

Kev

johnny gel> > I never quite understood the price differential. I know Europe taxes

licence,

Reply to
awtltd

I think in Simon's case he has laptops so that is not an option. I had thought of that option too and it is a another good reason to go with these mini-mini case computers systems.

Reply to
TOP

I absolutely agree with you Simon. As far as I can see it has nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with another revenue stream for European resellers. I have had this conversation with my reseller because I wanted the USB dongles (of course I would rather have none, and have the home use policy of the US) and when they offered them for a fee I refused. Needless to say, I do not have USB dongles yet.

In my opinion, we use dongles because SW wants to protect THEIR product. Therefore they should make it easy for users to do just that. I see no reason I should have to pay more to change their locks when it is their interest to let the software function on whatever hardware the users need to use. If there is more piracy of SW in europe, it is because of poorly planned policies like this one.

As for the comment on European taxes - that totally depends on the country. However, the first and most annoying tax is the artificially inflated price that gets applied simply because it is Europe. In the UK one pays 17% VAT! That is painful when added to the previous "old world tax". Here in Switzerland, taxes are about the same in the US, but we get clobbered the the "oh-its-switzerland-they-must-be-rich" tax. Of course there are other costs in Europe relative to translations, and such, but the market is dense and efficient, so it is really hard to see that it justifies the kinds of price increases that are applied here.

I will have to cross this dongle bridge when I replace my PC... but I hope they will finally change this very negative policy.

daniel

Reply to
daniel

In answer to your first question, yes, as far as I am aware - much more so.

And the second, probably not - but dongles are very handy. They are portable, work anywhere - and the only real issue is if you happen to get half way to work and realise you have let it at home... Personally, I like them. We are looking at a "new improved" system of software activation. Personally that scares me - I can see a whole stack of folks just pirating away. Not because they are "real thieves" but because they can, it is easy, and they don't see it as stealing...

I can see that the > > > Oops! Didn't know that. How about a USB to Parallel adaptor: > > >

Reply to
Aussie