Estimating engineering time on machine design

Phil Evans (aka, "noone") wrote:

That's interesting. Stress analysis won't be required on this project, and self-checking is typically de rigeur on machine design of this sort (although I agree that self-checking is in general not a good idea; it's a luxury to have a checker when you're doing competitive bid). We're working in tandem with a machine shop in this case. They're handling the hardware bid and we're handling the design bid. It would be easy to screw ourselves here by either overbidding or underbidding, but not as easy as if we were doing the whole thing.
Thanks (to all) for comments. More comments welcome.
'Sporky'
1.25 hours per part is really flying. Depends on what you are doing. Depends on what the deliverable is. If the customer requires prints for assemblies and details then you have to allow time to update each level of subassembly as well. Just drawing with minimal design would be 2 hours per drawing. This is assuming simple machine parts and not something like an injection mold.
Sporkman wrote:

kellnerp wrote:

I agree, and I noted that 1 1/4 hours was minimum. I really meant ABSOLUTE minimum, but it's possible to do on some kinds of things. I think 2 hours and then add 15%, as a simplistic approach. And I don't believe in taking simplistic approaches, but "rules of thumb" are useful to a degree.
Thanks, Amigo
'Sporky'
Sporky I have a set of "rule of thumb" that I developed and used while I was selling custom production machinery. Costs have changed a great deal but the overall ratios should still be the same. Would you like to have a copy? It's in Word format. R. Wink
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:23:08 -0400, Sporkman

"R. Wink" wrote:

Sure thing. You can get a valid email address for me by looking at my web site. And thanks.
Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton http://www.h2omarkdesign.com