flexible assembly mates question

forgive me if this subject has been beat to death, but I haven't used flexible mates before. I did some searching of the archives, and I only saw advice which I've already tried with no success.

I have a subassembly, like a die set with configs "Open, Closed, Floating". Pretty basic. When I have this (sub)assembly file open, I can move the platen like one would expect.

In one of the top level assembly configs, when the "Floating" config is used, I have checked the Solve As Flexible box in the subassy's properties. The die set is still being solved as rigid, apparently. Other mates that are trying to move the subassembly parts caused overdefining mate errors.

Is there something I need to do in the other top level configs? In the other subassy configs? Any other gotchas?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

My advice, and opinion, would be to stay away from flexible assemblies. We do quite a bit of design where I work, and I actually did a die job a few months ago, and we never use flexible assemblies. One of our customers developed the beginnings of a design for us and used flexible subassemblies. They just called maybe 10 minutes ago with problems with the robot mates.

Sorry I don't have any big solution, but I thought I would just let you know, we stay away from flexibles.

I have pretty good luck with flexible sub-assemblies. Never really caused me any major problems. You just have to pay close attention to what you are doing.

With that being said, I don't think I could help Bill without seeing the assembly myself.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Reply to
matt

My guess would be that you have mates which are locking your flexible components in place. To find out try suppressing all mates in top level tree and then move the subassembly components. If they move then you found out what is wrong. You will need to address your mates that control the subassembly so that they play nice. Remember that setting an assembly flexible essentially pushes its mates top-level. So you must account for this in your design.

Reply to
Mr. Who

I found it. The files were from a customer, and it appears that a top level mate was forcing the floating mate past a limit. Now I need to find out why. Thanks for getting me looking that direction. Bill

Reply to
bill allemann