How do I remote work

All my organisation (based in the uk) is looking to set up an engineer in France. The intention is to have the French engineer access our Solidworks data from our server in the uk and then attempt to work live over the web. The management are convinced this can be done, I'm pretty sure that the French engineer will need to take copies of our files to his local pc and then work there. Now our assemblies vary from 10mb to 100mb, and a complete assembly can consist of approx 500 parts. Has anyone had experience with this type of working, any advice appreciated. Regards Ken Carpenter

Reply to
Ken Carpente

You could set up a "VPN" (Virtual Private Network)" to let your remote engineer access your network "as if" he was connected locally. Then it's only a question of bandwidth : with a 1Mbits/s ADSL, it will be 10 to 100 times slower than a local network, but still about 6Mb per minute can be transferred, so it may be enough if checkin/checkouts aren't too frequent...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

I've worked from home using a cable modem and VPN connection. Every load and save is slow, but it is still far more productive than copying files and having to synch them later.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley