how to get Component Description from API... please help

Please, please, please, point me in the right direction.
I have tried the help documents and online resources to no avail -
(did you know the word "description" is in almost every help
document?). Does anyone know either implicitly or theoretically how to
retrieve a component's description?
- Right clicking on a component in the feature manager
- Select Component Properties
- Component Description is the value I am looking to lay my hands upon.
The following methods return " " (empty set) for all components I
loop thru:
CompDescr = ModDoc.CustomInfo2({variable for current configuration},
"DESCRIPTION")
CompDescr = ModDoc.CustomInfo2("", "DESCRIPTION")
Where
ModDoc = Component2.GetModelDoc() And
Component2 initially is RootComponent, but recursively loops through
all child components
Greatly appreciated,
Derek Ciula
Reply to
Derek Ciula
The ModDoc object as you define it no longer has any component properties; it is only the part (or assembly) without context.
Custom property names are cASE sENSITIVE.
Also of interest: ModelDoc2::SummaryInfo AssemblyDoc::FeatureByName (try getting component as a feature object) Feature::Description
from help: Component descriptions appear only if you selected Description in Custom property used as custom description in the General system options. You can select a different item for Custom property used as custom description, but you must set a value for that custom property on the Custom tab of the Summary Information dialog box.
Reply to
That70sTick
I don't suppose you could tell me how to define an Object that would retain component properties?
But thanks for info, This will at least give me a few more leads to dig around in.
I can get Model Document Path, which is the field directly below, the Component Property(what i'm looking for)
with the following code: ModDoc.GetPathName
would it be overly hopeful that there's a ModDoc.GetDescription ? or something similar? Thanks, Derek
Reply to
Derek Ciula
The buck stops with case sensitive config types... I changed DESCRIPTION to Description and everything what happy.
Thank you very much Mr70's I don't suppose you live in WI? I'll send you a christmas present for your help.
Reply to
Derek Ciula
Lived in WI most of my life. there's a reason "That 70's Show" is set in Wisconsin: the 70's never really left!
Reply to
That70sTick