Increasing SW Performance

I talked recently with our VAR. They suggested updating DirectX. Afterwards, we saw a significant speed increase in working with drawings.

DirectX 9.0b improves the graphics, security, and performance of your operating system. Download and install this update for your Windows

98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP-based system.

Jason

Interesting! I've never heard that before.

It's funny you mention that. I just tried the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" and it told me my DirectX (older version) had a security flaw in it. I guess I better update quick!

Here is the message I got... "Unchecked Buffer in DirectX Could Enable System Compromise (819696) Please refer to 306460 for a detailed explanation."

Thanks, Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

How do I determine what version I have, or for all that goes, if I have it at all. I ran the analyzer that Mike mentioned below and did not see any directx info.

Reply to
SWuser

Go to Start-RUN- Then type "dxdiag" and hit ok this will bring up the DirectX diagnostic tool This is built into direct x and does not need a download

Reply to
Rocko

Thanks.

Reply to
SWuser

I'm surprised this would have an effect on SW as it uses OpenGl for the rendering, not Directx. What, exactly do you see? Are you on 2004, SP2.1?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Do this: Start - Run - Open:dxdiag - OK

Check for the Directx version.

Reply to
Jason

Microsoft DirectX is an advanced suite of multimedia application programming interfaces (APIs) built into Microsoft Windows; operating systems. DirectX provides a standard development platform for Windows-based PCs by enabling software developers to access specialized hardware features without having to write hardware-specific code. This technology was first introduced in

1995 and is a recognized standard for multimedia application development on the Windows platform.

What DirectX Does and How Simply put, DirectX is a Windows technology that enables higher performance in graphics and sound when you're playing games or watching video on your PC.

At the core of DirectX are its application programming interfaces, or APIs. The APIs act as a kind of bridge for the hardware and the software to "talk" to each other. The DirectX APIs give multimedia applications access to the advanced features of high-performance hardware such as three-dimensional (3-D) graphics acceleration chips and sound cards. They control low-level functions, including two-dimensional (2-D) graphics acceleration; support for input devices such as joysticks, keyboards, and mice; and control of sound mixing and sound output. Because of DirectX, what you experience with your computer is better 3-D graphics and immersive music and audio effects.

Reply to
Jacob Filek

Thanks for this and everybody else's advice. I've just upgraded the Direct X to V9.

And after a 'repair' of 2004 sp1 using the 'Add/remove' programmes in the Control panel of W2000 .

And after a few re - boots after repairing Sw2004 sp1 and after it kept rejecting my files and telling me to ring technical support.

I kept my cool and all has now settled down - and would you beleive it

-

I actually think the 2d drawings are faster !! just a first impression after opening a 2d drawing that would take for ever to move views around and rehatch areas - it all seems so quicker now.

Or is it just relief that I have survived another game of Russian roulette with SW .

Anyway - Its a bit sad to be at my computer at 10.30pm on a Saturday.

- I needed the excitement.

Perhaps for Sunday's excitement I'll jump to sp2.1 !!

Regards

Jonathan Stedman

Reply to
jjs