hole series error

I have just started using the hole series for a few things. I had been using MoldWorks so hadn't needed it much.

I have an assembly with many different configs in it for different plate thicknesses. When I use the hole series for socket head cap screws, it seems to work OK. But then when I switch configs, the first thing I notice is that the holes put in with the hole series are suppressed. Then when I unsuppress them, I get the following error message: "1/2-13 Tapped Hole1: The intended hole does not intersect the model."

What's up with that? My other question is if there is a setting someplace that will apply the hole series holes to all configs??

Thanks for any insight. Is it just that the hole series is incredibly lame or is it user error???

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

John,

It's been a long time since I used the hole series myself but IIRC the reason I quit using it is due to limitations similar to what you're experiencing. When Cimlogic still owned the product, I used hole series all the time with no ill effects. You could put ejector pin holes through all of the mold plates that were in context to each other. It worked great! When SWX bought it, hole series holes quit working the way it used to. Now you end up with an assembly feature that is difficult to do anything with. I found that if I changed a plate after a hole series hole was applied would cause it to fail and become un-editable. I don't know if any of the problems have been fixed, but I doubt it.

Malc>I have just started using the hole series for a few things. I had been using

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Yeah, I'm not going to use it anymore. Thanks for the confirmation.

It's kinda funny that SWX is supposedly making this big push to support mold design with their (currently pretty lame) mold tools. However, if they would just fix and improve something as seemingly simple as the hole series, they would be doing a lot more for mold designers than those mold tools ever will.

jk

reason I quit using it is due to limitations

product, I used hole series all the time with no ill

that were in context to each other. It worked

you end up with an assembly feature that is

hole series hole was applied would cause it to

fixed, but I doubt it.

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Well, I did use bad terminology. I didn't mean a true "Assembly Feature". I was referring to the new hole series icon you get in the assembly FMT. It looks just like a "cavity feature" icon.

You're welcome to report it Matt. I've grown too complacent over the years.

Malcontent

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Thanks Matt.

The configurations in question did indeed have the check-box you are referring to unchecked which means that the holes should not have been suppressed.

I use this so seldom that I was initially just looking for confirmation of how it SHOULD work. You have done that and I will call my VAR as soon as I hit the send button on this reply. I am lucky to have a great VAR who should pass this along the appropriate channels. I hadn't reported any bugs all week. I don't want them to think I'm slacking..........

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Good Afternoon,

I tried to send you an e-mail but it failed, so i'll respone to the group

My user name is sparky100 true name [Scott Morley], I wrote a post going back to 11-7-03 on injection molding. You responded with some good points, but money is always an issue so we purchased SW. I found it at first hard. I took a class from SW to get a better understanding of it and it helped a little. I have also worked on it at home. My boss said up front that it will not get in the way of getting a projects done. I can understand that because I know its going to take some time my first time through. My boss asked if I wanted to try SW on the next job. So, I need to prepare myself. Well, I would like to know, if you do not mine what kind of molds you design? Bo Clawson ref. To you on the forum as a full time mold designer with a boatload of experience. I typically design A-series, stripper-series, and t-series mold bases. One to two cavity molds. I guess wear to start. I have not had any time to do mold design at home, just product design. You responded to my post back on 11-7-03 about Mold Works, Split Works, and Face Works. Which one works the best. Right now I have no additional software add to SW, but will be looking into it. I will start out a design from the beginning. A quick view of how I start a mold frame. I start with an assembly to make sure all components, side locks, eject pins, core pins, water, runners, cavity, and core fits without interference from anything. I need to know, how can I still do it this way. I can not create separate plates with holes and pockets thinking it going to work. Do I create one file with all the plates and then do an assembly. Then separate each plate for detailing after. Please if you could give me any help that would be great. Also, I do not know how you feel about this, but if you could e-mail a job that you did form the beginning it might help me out, to study your feature manger tree with the steps that you did to finish a mold design.

Thanks

Scott Morley

Reply to
Sparky100

Sorry about the email address. I got to the point of about 300-500 emails a day with all but one being spam, so I shut it down after notifying people. My good address is below, at least for now.

John Kreutzberger here in the forum is a full time mold designer and he is the one who mentioned Mold Works & Split Works, etc. I only do an ocassional mold.

You can use an "Assembly Sketch" to drive the creation of all basic mold outline and hole features, so that one sketch keeps the base size, leader pins, ejector pins etc, controlled by one or more sketches. Search the Solidworks Help for "Assembly Sketch". It makes a big difference in linking up your solids.

Bo Clawson snipped-for-privacy@tilikum.com

Reply to
Bo Clawson

The Solidworks Help is not entirely clear on Assembly Sketch, so here is a quick outline on how to start any assembly sketch driven set of parts:

  1. Open a new "Mold" assembly solids file
  2. Create a "Mold PL" sketch on the plane you want to be the parting line
  3. Put in the mold outline with dimensions and whatever leader pin, ejector pin holes/points, riser posts, cavity centers & other details you want.
  4. Open a new "Aplate" solids file and drop it into the Assembly and constrain all 3 axes to "Coincident".
  5. Open a new "Bplate" solids file and do the same (the common mating plane of the "Mold PL" assy sketch will be the parting line).
  6. Select the "Aplate" in the assembly dwg & choose the Edit icon/command, add a sketch on the parting line plane and select the items on the "Mold PL" assembly sketch and use "Convert Entities" to bring those into the part sketch & extrude the plate solid with or without holes as you wish.
  7. Edit the "Bplate" as in #6.

Now anything you change in the original "Mold PL" sketch in the assembly solids file will change both the A & B plates.

I do think Solidworks should give some of these simplified outline procedures, so that it is easier for new users to 'get the jist'.

Good Luck-Have Fun-Create -- Bo snipped-for-privacy@tilikum.com

Reply to
Bo Clawson