Is 64 bit OS faster?

So I got this new machine quad core Xeon .
Would I gain anything except more memory if I run it with 64bit OS?

I doubt it on XP, mabye very minimal or in other words, unnoticable. I keep hearing very good things about Vista x64 about performance on the other hand. Vista, aside from being a resource hog in general, manages memory usage much more efficiently and is much more responive with multi-core proccessors. That being said, if you have the big new machine with the resources, Vista x64 is probably the way to go. It will probably become the dominant OS in the very near future as well.
If you still have apps that still need native 32-bit support on XP, you could consider dual booting the machine. That way, you could even find out for yourself if it's worth using.
Don
On Apr 25, 7:53am, "mr.T" <mr.T@Somewhere Far away from the rainbow.com> wrote:

It is definitely faster if you use assemblies so large that you run out of memory in 32 bit.
Bo

It is not faster it will handle larger assemblies. But in smaller assemblies it is the same
Be warned the x64 might have more issues than other versions and I do know this I dont want to talk about it ;)
Just my thoughts,
I'm using 2007 64 bit version, it is faster slightly compared to the 32 bit version and it handles large assemblies better, ie loads up quicker and feature, part changes are quicker.
We had to iron out some driver issues for printing , but on the whole , if you have the hardware , I would reccommend move to a 64 bit OS.
We are using Windows XP 64 bit as out tech guys , think it's a better bet right now copmared to Vista, but when we make the move to 2008 SWX, we will probably move to Vista.

Not a SW user, but assisting someone who is. We got XP64 with 16 GB on a dual-Xeon (4 effective CPUs) and it's showing only 2 GB in use during a FEA calculation. Is there some throttle in SW that would limit the amount of memory used?
You will have to talk to the VAR. Supposedly SRAC has setup CosmosWorks to use multiple CPUs and all the RAM you can get. But just how you enable that I don't know.
The other question is what are you doing that needs those massive amounts of memory and CPU?
TOP
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Other questions... FEA is CosmosWorks? FEA is 64 bit? Expected memory use for this calculation? Talk to the VAR for sure.