Lay out sketches, do you use them?

I was wndering how many people use layout sketches? I am begining to see a need to do a layout sketch if one is going to use lots of configs.

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

Yes, layout sketches are useful. I typically use them on complex parts or assemblies. They should work well for configurations, as long as you're not combining in-context assemblies with configs.

matt

"Nathan Feculak" wrote in news:f8CPb.63214$De.39031@edtnps84:

Reply to
matt

Oh yeah! And whole layout parts too (skeleton part). Depending on the complexity of the situation. Layout sketches and skeleton parts make much better references for mates and in-context features. It's also nice to have the one-stop-shop for all the design intent.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

On assembly with complex motion I create a subassemby thats justs sketches that dfine key parts and then in the higher assem I define the key parts from the sketch, but the nice feature is that I can test the effects of a part chage without having to rebuild all the parts by just opening the subassem. Exmple, I have a part thats a bike frame, I would have an assem that is the frame and an assembly "skeletion" sketch defining the pedals, sprocket and chain with a possible equation to "snap" the chain size to actual chain sizes. Then this assem would be inserted into another assem that contain the other actual parts like pedals, the spocket etc that would be defined based on the skeleton sketch. If a change in the sketch produces an overdefined sketch or a motion I dont like I can just close the file w/o saving and no harm done. But the nice thing is that you can keep making little changes to different sketches in different planes of motion until you get what you want. Then open your top assem and let it rebuild and viola, you done and all your prints will be updated etc... (just dont forget to back up your files on a large project before making a change that will affect alot of parts) :)

Dale Dunn wrote in message news:...

Reply to
Brian Bahr