Use fully denfined sketches!

heres a question, in Solidworks, how many of you have "Use Fully Defined Sketches" checked? I do, and in my opinion this is a good practice. but there are times when I'm in a hurry to get something done and I turn it off so that I can quickly sketch things without constraining them. Whats the general opinion on this for the best way to build my sketches?

Larry Jedik Currier Plastics Inc.

Reply to
Larry Jedik

I leave it off. The reason being that a lot of the time I will throw sketch elements in to play with something, and then dimension it out after I push & pull. With the sketches able to show me what's not totally defined, I don't find I have much problem.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Same here if you have points visible you can always know just by looking at the sketch what needs to be defined, and the tree puts a (-) infront of the sketch name if it isn't fully defined for a quick check. I always fully define my sketches out of habit.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Like the first 2 replies, I keep mine un-checked as well. However, I have a practice of only using fully-defined sketches for features, I just don't let SWX MAKE me do it.

When I am designing molds, I am always tweaking things. If I have any under-defined sketches in the mix, then unexpected things can happen when I am making changes-especially if the changes happen later in the process. I guess I am talking about using personal discipline versus letting the software tell me how to do things.

I work with a lot of parts designed in SWX. I see a lot of under-defined sketches in these parts. I always wonder how they get away with it. I often need to go into the parts and make adjustments to improve moldability. These under-defined sketches can cause problems.

However, like the others, I sometimes like to just throw some sketches in there to look at things. It would be a hassle to constantly be changing my settings, so I leave that box un-checked.

jk

Reply to
jk

So far it looks as though I'm no different than the rest. I to try to always fully define my sketches and I also sometime use quick sketches to try different things. One of the things I do when doing changes is to use construction lines (Centerlines) as the quick sketch, this way I can have my ideas right in the sketch I'm working on. Then if it works or I like it I convert the construction geometry to actual workin sketch.

Reply to
Larry Jedik

Like the rest who have answered so far, and for the same reasons, I don't check the box, I check the sketches myself before I make the feature.

I vaguely recall a fairly recent post (in the last couple of months, perhaps) where someone had a problem that was caused by having the box checked. Can anyone remember what it was?

Jerry Steiger

I remember, with help from Google:

Dale Dunn

For those of you who may develop sketches for use in lofting or sweeping, I'll add a few points:

  1. Fully defining (constraining) such sketches can prevent the feature from succeeding to build. For example, a profile may need to expand and shrink as it follows a guide curve but, if the sketch is "rigid", this is impossible.

  1. On the other hand, if certain entities in the sketch profile are left undefined, then the feature may fail to generate because the dynamically changing perimeter may be forced to collapse and/or cross itself.

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

Man Larry,

You use some of the worst settings solidworks has to offer. fully defined sketches? 2d emulator?

Respect

Reply to
cadishaq