AutoCad sketches

Hi, I have used Solidworks for many years but now have a problem not faced before. I have a job which requires importing 100's of AutoCAD drawings (*.dwg) for the basis of SolidWorks part sketches. No problem with this but once imported it seems to attach the new sketch to the origin I have to fully dimension the sketch in order to drag it to the origin without distorting it. Dimensioning it is something I'd rather not do at this stage so for now I just 'fix' the sketch and leave it unattached. This works but makes the assembly untidy as the part is only related to one plane. Any way of overcoming this ... Thanks (Bahhh I hate AutoCAD)

Reply to
Alphadraw

Open the DWG file with SW to a part file, then make the sketch a block. It's then much easier to move it to the origin as you choose.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You can relocate sketches with the tools on the "2D to 3D" toolbar. You can also move sketch entities while editing a sketch.

Reply to
That70sTick

Another approach is to select the sketch entities with a cursor bounding box and then drag them to a new location. (Note: The drag must be done with the cursor placed along the length of one of the entities and NOT at an endpoint.) If CTRL/select is used to pick just some of the entities, then the CTRL key should be released BEFORE the relocation unless a copy is desired...

To move the sketch to a precise new locati> You can relocate sketches with the tools on the "2D to 3D" toolbar.

Reply to
POH

Thanks guys, just what I needed ...

Reply to