Loft or Sweep or fillet an extrusion?

Hi! Been gone for a while. I'm going to do a gastank (moto). Different top,side (mirrored) and bottom. What would be the best approach? I want it nicely rounded at the front, back and sides. Think of an egg that has been skweesed from top and bottom.

Reply to
mechmind

Are you looking to have it manufactured? If so, the method of manufacture should determine your design, and therefore the technique you use. The simplest technique, of course, is filleting a simple extrusion, but that doesn't mean it's best for the purpose.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

I would probably use lofts, but sweeps would also do the trick, depending on the shape you want. If you're on subscription, there are some nice flattened egg shapes in the part library. I think Mark Biasotti put a couple of them in.

If you want to do this kind of work very often, you should download all three of Ed Eaton's Curvy Stuff tutorials from the DiMonte Group website:

Jerry Steiger

He's an old thread on some tanks..

?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=f1cb38f6.0212312043.d63be57%40posting.google.com ..

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Before you start making surfaces or solids, start with a good set of control line sketches for profiles and sections at key planes. Use your control line sketches and "convert entities" to copy control line geometry to sketches used in features (such as extrusions and lofts). This way, if your features don't turn out the way you expect, you still have your control lines to start with.

Reply to
TheTick