Modelling exercise

Since modelling in SolidWorks is so easy, we usually start our SolidWorks lessons - as an introduction to solid modelling - by letting the attendees
to model this simple wheel. (
http://naakka.dyndns.org/misc/wheel.jpg ) Go ahead and give it a try!
-h-
"Heikki Leivo" wrote:

I know how to do it ! (go to http://www.goulu.net/science/escher.htm for similar work)
btw, how to draw 3 triangles with 6 matches ?
--
Philippe Guglielmetti - www.dynabits.com

Interesting concept, but far too complicated. The wheel consists only of straight extrusions.
-h-

Hi Heikki A nice illusion. I like it .I have sent you a copy . I wander what is the extra body you have got.
Dudi Peer eds-eci

I can draw 4, does it count?
"Jean Marc BRUN" wrote:

Sure ;-) my mistake... I meant 4 of course...
--

Philippe Guglielmetti wrote:
> btw, how to draw 3 triangles with 6 matches ?
____ | /\ | |/ \| ----
easy
Joe
"joe(usenews)" wrote:

finally a solution ! ;-) now what about 4 triangles with 6 matches ?
--
Philippe Guglielmetti - www.dynabits.com

4 _closed_ triangles:
Think of the 6 edges of a pyramid: they form 4 triangles
I created a very large assembly of a city and then wrote several vba scripts to animate different subassemblys. It all runs on a very large network.
Here is a screenshot of the model:
http://www.seclorum.us/swx/swx.jpg
-HR=-

Did it. See http://www.dynabits.com/gallery/index.htm Suprisingly, I had more problems with the "central" small cube than with the rest of the structure... There must be a simpler way... I''ll try to make it the "Escher" way now.
--
Philippe Guglielmetti - www.dynabits.com

the
Cool, you made it almost as David Peer did. Mine was a bit more complicated, I can send you my version.

I tried as well, but the result didn't seem as natural, since SW doesn't render the silhouette edges of the sweeps very accurately. Besides, the shading and possible textures reveal that the spokes are not straight.
-h-
"Heikki Leivo" wrote:

made a new, even simpler model with "straight" and "Escher" configurations Check http://www.dynabits.com/gallery/index.htm , there's even an anim of the thing rotating. Shading with wood structures is ok, spokes look straight...

The new model uses a "body copy/move" feature to orient the central cube instead of a bunch of construction planes. looks simple, BUT I couldn't figure how the 3 angles are defined. Reached a fair approximation, but if anyone knows how to calculate the 3 angles exactly, the math side of my brain could sleep better this night.
Are you aware of any copyright / IP related to this shape ?
--
Philippe Guglielmetti - www.dynabits.com