Need a Tough Design Solution?

Why not ask a question here, to see if other users might just have that "one-off" idea that is common in their industry, but has NOT made it into your field yet.

Like "A non-welded, no connector" metal to metal joint: Hint, look at the high speed hard milling spindles with shrink fit "collets" directly onto the cutter.

Maybe there is an answer.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

It's funny that you bring this up. About two years ago I was in a quandary about how to thread a thin walled square steel tubing and get enough "bite". I didn't want to have to weld a nut on the inside of the tubing. So I asked here what I should do and someone mentioned a FlowDrill, which I had never heard of, but it worked extremely well for our Prototype and they are now using it in production. Ask and Ye shall receive.

Just a quick anecdote, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

And what is a FlowDrill?

It reminded me of something I learned 30 years ago on tapping tought steel.

A guy I worked for got a job to tap 4140 half hard steel pieces (or similar), and everyone else bid to lose a tap every 5-6 pieces or so.

My boss looked at the specs and did a quick induction heating coil, and zapped the pieces for just 10-15 seconds as I recall, and then tapped them hot and they tapped like going through aluminum.

He made high profits off that job.

Bo

Muggs wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Hey Bo, Check it out here:

Watch the short videos, they'll do a better job of explaining then I could.

Muggs

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Very clever, and a clean solution.

Bo

Muggs wrote:

Reply to
Bo

The latest electronic edition from www/pddnet.com reminded me that I don't follow power transmission enough to know of recent improvements in techniques and efficiencies.

The eddy current variable speed drive from MagnaDrive Corp is a perfect example for a non-geared, non-powered piece of equipment that offers significant advantage in some variable speed drive applications.

After reading that note on an eddy current drive, I quickly wondered whether a form of permanent magnet eddy current drive could make a variable speed drive for a bicycle, and eliminate 2 derailers, 2 sets of gears, one cable and finger/hand shifter, mounting points-hardware, plus less length of chain.

I have no clue about how efficient an eddy current drive could be, but for a consumer drive on bicycles, I would want to have reliability and minimal fixing and repairing. Interesting to think about at least, though I have no idea whether such a drive would be cost and energy efficient from just first thoughts.

Bo

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Bo