Need help regarding Laptop buy

Hi,

hope you can help... I need a laptop for Cad work and 3dMax....

I have to decide between these two:

  1. HP nw8440 - Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 256MB, 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT 1680 x 1050, 1GB DDR2, 80GB SATA, battery 6h Price: 1884$ 3 year guarantee

  1. ASUS F3SV - Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, nVIDIA GeForce Go

8600GS 128MB, 15.4" WXGA TFT 1280 x 800, ColorShine, 1x 1024MB DDR2 667MHz, 160GB SATA, battery less then HP.... Price: 1808$ 2 year guarantee

PLEASE HELP ;)

Reply to
bmihalje

All else being equal, go for the higher resolution screen, and make sure SolidWorks' website in the video card area supports the video card on the laptop. My 3 year old Dell M60 is 1900 pixels and I use every pixel worth of screen size for my small parts. The 1.7 ghz processor is antiquated and I won't upgrade beyond Swks 2006 on it.

Can't recommend brands, since I've used only Dell laptops, but searching prior posts in this group will get you a lot of posts to read for good info. Laptops are OK for smaller assemblies, but I wouldn't want to bet on doing truly large assemblies.

Given that these machines are only 2 ghz, you can figure that you are already starting off a $4000+ 3D CAD program with a limitation by buying the low end of laptop. I would seriously consider getting the faster/fastest laptop CPU, since Swks 2008 is not going to be easy on processing, and you would expect to use the laptop without slowdowns for a couple years (into SWks 2009).

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I have that at home, nice one. And works with SW, FireGL is supported, GeForce is not.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

I have the HP nw8440. IT is a great laptop, no problems. I have 100+ part assemblies and it works fine. I do have 2 gig of ram though.

I dock the laptop at work and used dual monitors, at home I use the laptop display and have no complaints.

I'd buy it again.

Monry

Reply to
Monty

Yes, forgot to say 2GB is a MUST! I like the design, it's thin and looks like a pc that is made for work, not to play. Really nothing to complain. I have 8240 at work and that is also ok, but it's getting old.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Thanks a lot guys! You've been of great help. I've just ordered HP with the additional 1gb RAM...

Reply to
bmihalje