Need help regarding Laptop buy

Hi,
hope you can help... I need a laptop for Cad work and 3dMax....
I have to decide between these two:
1. HP nw8440 - Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, ATI Mobility FireGL
V5200 256MB, 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT 1680 x 1050, 1GB DDR2, 80GB SATA, battery 6h Price: 1884$ 3 year guarantee
2. ASUS F3SV - Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, nVIDIA GeForce Go 8600GS 128MB, 15.4" WXGA TFT 1280 x 800, ColorShine, 1x 1024MB DDR2 667MHz, 160GB SATA, battery less then HP.... Price: 1808$ 2 year guarantee
PLEASE HELP ;)
On Aug 24, 4:33 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

All else being equal, go for the higher resolution screen, and make sure SolidWorks' website in the video card area supports the video card on the laptop. My 3 year old Dell M60 is 1900 pixels and I use every pixel worth of screen size for my small parts. The 1.7 ghz processor is antiquated and I won't upgrade beyond Swks 2006 on it.
Can't recommend brands, since I've used only Dell laptops, but searching prior posts in this group will get you a lot of posts to read for good info. Laptops are OK for smaller assemblies, but I wouldn't want to bet on doing truly large assemblies.
Given that these machines are only 2 ghz, you can figure that you are already starting off a $4000+ 3D CAD program with a limitation by buying the low end of laptop. I would seriously consider getting the faster/fastest laptop CPU, since Swks 2008 is not going to be easy on processing, and you would expect to use the laptop without slowdowns for a couple years (into SWks 2009).
Bo
On 24 elo, 14:33, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have that at home, nice one. And works with SW, FireGL is supported, GeForce is not.
I have the HP nw8440. IT is a great laptop, no problems. I have 100+ part assemblies and it works fine. I do have 2 gig of ram though.
I dock the laptop at work and used dual monitors, at home I use the laptop display and have no complaints.
I'd buy it again.
Monry

Yes, forgot to say 2GB is a MUST! I like the design, it's thin and looks like a pc that is made for work, not to play. Really nothing to complain. I have 8240 at work and that is also ok, but it's getting old.

Thanks a lot guys! You've been of great help. I've just ordered HP with the additional 1gb RAM...