Engineering student needs laptop. Help?

I'm looking to buy a Lenovo laptop capable of running solids modelers in training mode only. However there might be many parts and assemblies
I want a Lenovo unit where the optical drive can be pulled out and replaced with modular battery as once I use the optical drive I seldom if ever use it much again..... so no need lugging that around
Any ideas which model to get and what options?