Laptop batter recall

Just got this as a newsletter this morning.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thanks Wayne. I had seen the story on TV but didn't catch which models had the problem. I guess I will be getting two new batteries.

Brad

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Brad

THAT'S A COOL LINK.

I was able to enter my battery's id tag and get confirmation that my battery was not affected! :-)

Thanks Wayne.

Reply to
pete

A note to the wise . . . the recall may not have "caught" all the batteries that exhibit the problem. My Dell Latitude D800's battery overheated the entire laptop to an alarming degree last week, and the battery in question was NOT on the list of those being recalled. I pulled the laptop out of the case one evening after having put it on "Standby" at work and almost dropped the thing because it was so hot. I had to set it down really quick -- almost burned my fingers. Fortunately I knew to pull the battery out first thing, and I won't put that battery back in again. Lithium ion batteries require circuitry to prevent "runaway" reactions, and faulty circuitry (or shorted-out circuitry) can lead to fires. That's probably what's happening. And like most manufacturers/OEMs, Dell is probably trying to keep its losses to a minimum.

To those of you who have laptops in general, BEWARE!! Don't put your unit on Standby and then just forget about it. Fire it back up and use it within a relatively short perios of time and then SHUT IT DOWN or put it in Hibernate mode before you store it away.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Sporky, unfortunately, I learned this the hard way with my Dell Inspiron 8000 back 5 years ago.

The Standby mode is really something that should never EVER be used once the laptop is off a table top. Once you close the lid, you can still have the machine generate a LOT of heat. I put my Inspiron in a bag and went to the shop and it was running and hotter than heck once I took the laptop out. I never left the machine in Standby again, when I went to move the laptop.

Standby in a PC is nothing like Sleep in a Mac OSX laptop as far as I've seen.

Bo

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
Bo