AMD Vs Intel : 7-0

The rounds:

I would have loved to see it written for single core CPU, as SW has no benefit of dual core.

JM

Reply to
Jean Marc

And on the first page of the review....a banner ad from Intel. Intel sells their name as much as their processor's capability.

Now SW does have a benefit on dual core, but this is a peripheral benefit. What is important is that the dual core running on a single core performs as well or better than most Intel single core processors. Therefore you can now have your cake and eat it too.

Reply to
TOP

While the people at CNet do a fine job testing the system. They fail to address the fact that AMD chips all have some quirk. I have spoken with a couple of hard core gamers, and they don't like AMD because the AMD chips suffer from personality defects.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

Right. Funny thing is I have been running AMD since 2000 and have yet to see this. Maybe CNET, TomsHardware, Anandtech and others fail to mention this is because it isn't there.

YouGoFirst wrote:

Reply to
camvee2

It sure is present in my home computer. My PC often likes to re-boot itself about 3 or 4 times when I turn it on. It also will refuse to shut down properly sometimes.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

And you're sure it's the CPU why?

You have removed all other add-in cards, unplugged all USB devices, speakers, etc, and unplugged your CDROM(s) as well right? And with everything unplugged (except maybe the HD) it still does that?

And, assuming you are running windows, it not necessarily unusual to windows not shutdown properly.

-john

Reply to
John J

It has always had that problem, even when it was new with virtually nothing on the machine.

Also, my computer guy told me that he doesn't like AMD because of the quirks that the chips have. I am fairly sure that he knows what he is talking about because he is a big time gamer.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

Since this occurs on your isolated system and not in general the conclusion should be that something else is wrong. Being a home system it has probably collected all kinds of malware, trojans, worms, viri, etc. Long shutdown time is a sure indicator of a Windows problem and can be fixed by searching MSoft's website for the solution.

Reply to
camvee2

The AMD box from which I type this has been up now for 146 hours. It was last rebooted during a hardware change. Look elsewhere. The other four AMD speedsters stay up continuously. A UPS is a big help to system reliability.

Reply to
TOP