New Monitor - Wide Screen or Not

I am in the market for a new monitor and I'd like to get some recommendations. It is a tight budget about $US 350. In this price
range it looks like the 20.1 " screens offer the best LCD specs smallest pixel size etc., while the 22 " widescreens offer the lower end LCD panel technology. The wide screen obviously allow side-by-side viewing. I realize the standard 19 and 20" 4:3 format is going away, but I am not worried about that. My work is a mix of office docs and CAD work. Are the widescreen LCDs worth the trade-off in display quality compared to the standard formant 20 inch? Any recommendations on a monitor? The HP LP2065 and NEC 20WMGX2 have come up in my research.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

I doubt you'll notice any real difference in image quality for office type work. I'd recommend a 22" wide screen at 1680x1050. You'll quickly get addicted to the extra width. At work I run a 24" @ 1920x1200 and a 19" @ 1280x1024 for web browsing and email. At home, I have the 22" and it's perfect. You can probably get the 22" for $300 or less.
MHill
MHill wrote:

28" Samsung, 3000:1, 2ms - - - - Less than $600 each. I just bought four of them. The new Core 2 Quad is impressive as well. I'm running the 64 bit version of XP. Nice.
--

John R. Carroll

www.machiningsolution.com
Where did you get Samsungs that cheap. I've been looking at the 275T and the cheapest I can find them are for $1100 each.

Colinmb wrote:

I got one of the 22" monitors and have been frustrated by the very hard to read letters in the regular applications. I didn't notice any problems with the SW lettering. What's the real solution to this?
Bruce Bretschneider wrote:

Possibly your font settings. You should also load the latest Samsung monitor driver from the Microsoft site. I also have a 226CW and 226BW and the system performance for my application increased dramatically when I had the later monitor drivers loaded. Go figure.
--
John R. Carroll

www.machiningsolution.com
Colinmb wrote:

D-Net in Torrance. $598.00 each. They don't have stock but they get them in about three days.
--
John R. Carroll

www.machiningsolution.com
Cliff wrote:

Nope 23018 Crenshaw Bl. Torrance, CA
--
John R. Carroll

www.machiningsolution.com

I can see how the extra width would be put to good use for both office and CAD. But are the 22" lower LCD specs very noticeable for CAD work? (I am running and nVidia FX560 card and and Viewsonic CRT with 1280 x 1024 and .25 pitch. ) . I think the main specs to be concerned with are viewing area, resolution, pixel size, view area and maybe color saturation .
Comparison between typical spec for the lower end 22" and higher end 20" are :
resolution - 1680 x 1050 vs 1600 x 1200 pixel - .282 vs .254 Viewing Angle 160 horiz vs 178 deg Response 5 ms vs 8 to 5 ms LCD panel type TN vs ISP (typical) - accuracy of color

type
@
I dropped the 20" 1600x1200 because of the low dotpitch, users where trying to run the monitor with wrong resolution, because every thing was so small. Now I use the 24" 1920 x 1200 from Dell with the S-PVA (Samsung) panel, as standard monitor. When the price gets low enough i will try one of them 27" 1920x1200 as they got the same dotpitch as a 19" 1280x1024.
And stop worring about the responce time its low enough and dosent mean a sh..,
Regards Peter
I didn't care for the wide screen. I couldn't get Autocad to fill the screen it ran in 4:3 mode. Also the screen was shorter top to bottom than a regular 20". All in all I will stay away from a wide screen for cad work. Just my humble opinion.
Rudy

Good info. Just checking - did you try new drivers and settings in the video card? Same display problem in SW or ProE?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have the 19" Dell at home and 22" Envision at work. Didn't like them at first because of the short top to bottom but have gotten used to it. Have had no problems with SW, ProE or UG to fill up the screen.
-

GROSS! this is a solidworks newsgroup....
:~)>
bob z.
On Jul 27, 5:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

one thing bob z. has not seen mentioned yet is the drawings. all drawings are wider than they are tall. bob z.'s wife has one of them dang 22" widescreen monitors (bob z. has a 19" 4:3) and he got to detail some stuff on the 22". man, was that cool!
go for the widescreen! don't listen to the autocad naysayers! :~)>
bob z.
Sorry to gross you out Bob Z. I do use both and wasn't thinking. I guess my point is why can't they leave a 19" or 20" at the same height and just widen it? BTW SolidWorks did work fine with the wide screen. Rudy

They do. But, since screens are measured on the diagonal, you have to step up the "rated" dimension accordingly. So if your 4:3 20" were to be replaced with a widesreen with equivalent height, you need to go to a 24" widescreen panel. Doing so will give you 31% more physical screen area, with the same height.
MHill
I've got a 24" Dell 2407WFP and I luv it!!!
I wouldn't go with anything less than 22", 8ms or better and good contrast.