Notes on a drawing

We currently have our notes and rev block on the sheet format and this sometimes is a problem. I would like to get feedback (pros and cons) from other users on where to best place the notes and rev block,,, darwing sheet or sheet format???

Thanks

Reply to
los

2 simple rules technically it is only one rule but live by it and you will be happy. 1) If it doesn't change or is linked to a custom property it better be on the sheet format 2) If it needs to be manually edited and cannot be in a custom property it shoud be on the sheet

If you do this and there is an across the board titleblock change either because of company policy or byout or other company dynamics all you have to do is replace the sheet format with the new one and nothing else needs to be changed. Where as if the sheet format is not standard then you have to manually go through each sheet format and determine which objects will be lost and need to be recreated.

Reply to
CS

I completely agree with CS's opinion. It's only one way to get flexible and scalable drawing template. By default regular users needn't to edit or enter to sheet format at all.

Reply to
alexei.roz

In my opinion it should be Company Policy to never edit sheet format.

Reply to
CS

We used to do it that way as well, but got frustrated with moving back and forth between the sheet and sheet format when the drawing got cluttered. We've been much happier with having both notes and rev block on the sheet. On the other hand, we're not much for carefully developing our process, so we've never gotten around to using custom or configuration properties the way we probably should.

Jerry Steiger

los,

If you are using SolidWorks 2005 or later, you should be using SolidWorks built in Rev Block table. It is very easy to use, and much quicker than manual methods, and more stable than using an Excel insert. If you use this method, your rev block will be on the template, not on the drawing sheet format.

Also, notes are part of the drawing. There's no reason to put them on the sheet format at all.

If you like, I have advice that can help you streamline this at:

If you use this method, there are macros which can be used to allow you to set up these details on new drawings within seconds.

Matt

fcsuper