Opinions on Lincoln Precision TIG 185 ...

Hi All,

As a longtime lurker and sometimes poster I know I am coming to the best place for opinions on the Lincoln TIG 185....

I have been reading all the posts and understand most of the differences between the big name machines, but I already have a Lincoln SP-175+ MIG box so I guess I'm a fan of the RED boxes.

The fact that Lincoln is a local company and I know people who work there puts a few bonus points in their corner too :)

So what I'm asking for is pros and cons of this machine from owners and users, since I probably almost have my mind set on it

Thanks,

Jeff (needs cool SIG) Sellers

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

As I have posted many times. While the machine looks good and probably works well, the Thermal Arc Prowave 185TSW is, in my opinion, a better deal. You get the same output power, and a pulser, but you also get the same output from half the amps.

A Precisiontig 185 requires a 60 amp circuit of 220 volt single phase. The Thermal 185 only needs 30 amps.

The Thermal 185 also has a built in sequencer. You do however have to buy a hand controller to access the sequencer.

The Precision tig weighs in at over 200 lbs and the Thermal is around

42 lbs.

Both are sitting at aroung $1750 new, and both come complete with torch, footpedal, stick electrode holder, ground cable and flowgauge.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hi Ernie, Thanks for the response, sorry to make you repeat yourself cause I have read much of your knowledge here. As much as I value your opinion about the Thermal Arc 185, the points you make are just not an issue to me.

I have the power needed, have the room (barely), portability is not needed so the weight is not much of a factor. I am really leaning towards the Lincoln to match my Mig machine and cause of the "Name" factor....I'm just funny that way :)

I will be welding round and square tubing frames and other home shop kind of stuff....99% will be < 3/16" thickness and most will be mild steel but I do want the aluminum capabilities. I would call myself a serious hobby metalworker if I had to put a name to it...My living comes from working wood so the metalwork is a relief from that !!

The one feature the Thermal 185 has over the Lincoln is the sequencer, I understand what it does, but do you think I will really need it ??? or is it more of a production kind of thing ??

I gather from your response that you have not used a Lincoln 185 personally, but have you heard anything really bad about them ?? How about your repair shop buds ?

Well, enough already, and thanks for all you do here and in RCM, too.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

Since you have made your decision long ago, why bother asking?

Just wondering?

Reply to
Bullfrog

Sequencers are highly addictive. They make repetitive welds in odd positions much easier. Thermal makes it difficult to use by making you buy a separate hand controller to access it. They don't advertise this fact in anything I have read about it.

They are to new for me to have even seen one. They are back ordered here in Seattle, along with the Thermal 185s.

We have two 1 year old Lincoln Squarewave 175+'s at school. They do a fine job, and lay a very nice bead in AC and DC.

The only complaint my repair buddies have of Lincoln is a slight inconsistency in assembly. It can make it difficult to get to certain parts in some machines. Miller doesn't do this.

Thermal Arc doesn't fix their machines, they just replace them. No joke, that is what they recommend to the field repair techs.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Well you are right that I pretty much have my mind made up, however if I was to hear really foul things about the Lincoln 185, it just might sway me towards the Themal Arc machine. These two are my choices after about a year of study on it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

Hi, Jeff -- I'm curious about your woodworking - metalworking connection. I got into the metal working hobby because of my woodworking (hobby, not professional) -- specifically, I wanted to make a Biesemeier-style fence for my tablesaw. Just curious if you followed a similar path, or ... ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Wakefield

Hi Andy,

My woodworking is a natural extension of my trade - Residential and Commercial Renovations - I have worked as an independent contractor for about 20 yrs now and basically the more ya can do the more money you'll make !! So in pusuit of this I own a 2 car garage crammed full of tools and equipment.

My intro to metal and welding was in high school welding class 25+ years ago and I always liked it but never did anything about it. Maybe 2yrs ago when I really already had most of what I needed for woodworking, I had to start looking elsewhere to feed my tool lust :) plus I wanted a hobby that wasn't so related to my daily work.

I bought a MIG welder first, then I got an O/A setup.

I use a Delta 16" drill press and a Delta 12" disk sander for drilling/grinding stuff, I have a 4 1/2" angle grinder and use a sawzall for most of my stock cutting. All these tools I already had. Now I am badly hooked and am actively shopping for more.....as you see by this thread.. I may need professional help......

The metalworking has helped out alot in the wood shop, I made a nice outfeed table for the tablesaw and all kinds of hooks and storage racks.

The big project now is making a mini chopper with my son, project inspired by "wallster" right here in this group !! Gonna be a riot !!!

Later then,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

snipped-for-privacy@duke.edu (Andy Wakefield) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You might watch Biesemeyer's website in their closeout specials. They have sometimes scratch and dent fences. You might just buy a fence and then buy the angle iron/ tubing for the rails and fit them to your saw.

Marty Escarcega

Thanks, but not only have I long since finished the Biesemeier-type fence (and boy, is it ever nice to have--how did I do without it?!!), but also I was able to make it for around $100 -- including the welder! My goal was not just to gain a fence, but also to learn some metalworking skills ...

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Hollis Wakefield