OT...document control software?

Can anyone recommend a good document control software package? We need something for revision controlled documents (prod. specs, manuals, etc.) that will allow us to "lock down" working copies, as well as provide change history, 'check-out/check-in' features and, hopefully, web integration.

Thanks!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

"PLM software" abounds (lots of Google hits), as do the prices including IBM's offerings (obviously high end).

Matrix One just sent me an email for a web demo.

Arena Solutions has demos, too, for their web based system.
I need lots and lots of study to understand far more than I do right now to know what might be right for me.

Bo

Reply to
BoC

Take a look at Conisio - that's what we use here.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Let me expand the question. Are there PLM's that work well with SolidWorks or any modelling software? My only experience is with systems that don't work directly with SolidWorks, so documents centers around use of PDF's. Of course, the solid model itself should be the document used by vendors with the drawing providing specifics, so it's not logical to base a system on PDF's. Anyone have experience with a system more in tune with modelling s/w?

Reply to
fcsuper

You may want to look at DBWorks.. it was written for Solidworks from the beginning..

jeffery

Jeff,

If you are looking for a document control package and not a pdm system for keeping up with you solid model data, take a look at a product called Visual Vault.

It does everything in your list, plus much more, and is 100% web-based.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

Jeff,

If you are looking for a document control package and not a pdm system for keeping up with you solid model data, take a look at a product called Visual Vault.

It does everything in your list, plus much more, and is 100% web-based.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

Thanks, everyone, for your input. What I'm looking for is a document control system for MS Office, PDF, Illustrator files, etc. We use PDM for our SW stuff, but don't want to be putting all of our Sales & Marketing documents in there. I've been digging through google and there's an insane amount of software packages out there.

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

Jeff noted, "I've been digging through google and there's an insane amount of software packages out there."

Yup, that's what I've seen, and I see the same issues.

I give 5 versions of a pdf to sales to review and markup, and get to the final approved copy, and someone sends out version 3 to the sales people. Sheesh.

For a small company, a simple database of the "Released" copy of documents could be set up. Then you have to decide how to host it for everyone's access. FileMakerPro will handle this nicely, and I think I may use that, since we already use it elsewhere.

Bo

Reply to
BoC

You are right about the abundance of doc. management out there--I learned that by doing an extensive search a couple of years ago for my employer. Our requirements were that the app needed to handle ANY type of document (Office docs, PDF's, images and even some audio and video files), that it has good password-protected security, it could grow with us and didn't cost an arm and a leg. We ended up with Carmen Documents which was perfect for us. It doesn't, however, keep track of paper documents (but that didn't matter to us). Its really simple to deploy and use.

I h> Thanks, everyone, for your input. What I'm looking for is a document

Reply to
GrpsDocCtl

Lots of them. We've used Activault and ProductCenter. SolidWorks sells PDMWorks. People in this newsgroup have mentioned using DBWorks, Quicksilver, SmartTeam, and others that I can't remember right now.

Let me back up a bit. The above are mostly PDM (Product Data Management) systems and you specifically said PLM (Product Lifecycle Management). ProductCenter is supposed to be a PLM system. I'm not at all sure about the others, but I think that PDMWorks and DBWorks are only PDM.

Jerry Steiger