PERFORMANCE:Has SW Emasculated CTRL-Q in 2007??

I have confirmed that SW doesn't rebuild hole wizards features used as assembly features with CTRL-Q. This behavior continues into 2007.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Paul Kellner recently made a simple macro that does a full (super) rebuilt beyond what CTRL-Q does. I have it here:

It uses forcerebuild API function

Matt

fcsuper

Matt,

You might get a laugh if you look at TOP's email address.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

TOP = The Other Paul (Kellner)

you must have missed that memo. ;)

Reply to
kenneth

You will probably get another laugh if you know what "force rebuild" is. It's Ctrl-Q. The only thing the macro does, if it's the same one I've seen, is to turn on verification on rebuild and then ctrl-Q.

I actually talked to a developer about this, and he said that if ctrl-Q (force rebuild) is leaving anything behind, then it is a bug and should be reported.

There are situations, however, which might leave something with a rebuild flag which are not bugs. In particular, if a feature is involved in a circular relation, it could easily look like it is not being rebuilt.

I wish Paul (TOP) would post a model or assembly which demonstrates this problem. If it's there, we should all know about it and get it fixed. Of course getting it fixed won't help Paul for a few years, since they won't go back to SW06 to make the fix, it would probably happen in SW08.

Paul? Got a model? I will host it on my FTP if you can get it to me or tell me how to make it.

matt (TOM - the other matt)

Reply to
matt

Matt,

I just ran across it while working in 2004 on a highly in-contexted assembly and again in 2007 when a co-worker mentioned that an assembly level hole wizard hole did not update location when planes it referenced where moved. I can't really send these models out to you because they are confidential so all I can do is

Reply to
TOP

Oops, hit the send button too early.

CTRL-Q simply doesn't do what the ForceRebuild API call does. That isn't hard to demonstrate and other here have also noticed it. Don't think I haven't run the macro without Verification on Rebuild. Just today we were trouble shooting an assembly. My associate hit CTRL-Q numerous times and the HoleWizard hole did not update. One run of the macro updated everything properly. Same behavior I have seen running programs while benchmarking. CTRL-Q would rebuild very quickly, the macro would take much longer without VOR active. On parts I would say that CTRL-Q and the macro probably behave the same, but not in assemblies or drawings.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Top,

Didn't realize it was you where bringing this up...of course. :)

Well, there it is. :pp

Anyways, maybe this is something that does need addressing by SW.

Matt (another matt lol...maybe I'll just stick to fcsuper for sig)

Reply to
fcsuper