PERFORMANCE:Has SW Emasculated CTRL-Q in 2007??

I was doing some SW2007 performance testing today and using CTRL-Q to force rebuild assemblies. The rebuild times seemed awfully fast so I broke out a macro that does a force rebuild and times it. I got very different results. With the macro SW actually rebuilt the components in the model as one would expect from CTRL-Q. But with CTRL-Q I only got an edit rebuild. Seems to me that in the past CTRL-Q in an assembly would actually force the rebuilding of all the parts. Does anyone have an older version like 2003 or 2004 running and can test this?

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Top,

I noticed long ago, that to force a "total" rebuild, you have to press Ctl-Q

5 times.

Any less you don't "quite" get the full rebuild, any more and you can get the "million errors" in the tree, which disappear if you reload the assembly!

This has been verified, many times by support, with lots of surprised mumbles, lol

Reply to
pete

Paul,

I routinely press ctrl-Q in vain trying to get a force rebuild in an assembly. I don't remember it ever working well enough to rebuild components (since 99). You'd think I'd give up, but keep forgetting that I'm not in a part.

I do know that the API has another level of rebuild beyond ctrl-Q that forces all components (even in subassemblies) to rebuild. I keep a macro around for this purpose. Most commonly, I use it when SW loses track of the fact that an instance of a subassembly (in a configuration different from what I just edited) needs to be updated.

I did this macro probably around '03 or '04 timeframe. The macro is incredibly complex:

'forces rebuild of top assembly and all subassemblies

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks Dim Model As SldWorks.ModelDoc2 Sub main() Set swApp = Application.SldWorks Set Model = swApp.ActiveDoc Model.ForceRebuild3 (False) End Sub

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I just let the issue slide, even when it was obvious not everything was rebuilding as they finally would get up to date after a few saves.

It does make me wonder if all parts & assemblies are rebuilt when you close all files and then reopen them, or is that also iffy?

Bo

Reply to
Bo

The only other thing I found out about CTRL-Q is that holding the CTRL key down uses a fair amount of SW cpu time. It doesn't peg it, but it certainly causes some activity.

Reply to
TOP