rebuild problem

Hi folks

I am having trouble with rebuilds in an assembly. SW seems to be random between asking me if I want to rebuild and just going ahead with no choice. I can't identify what it is that I do different to change the nature, but it is eating time (each rebuild takes 5-7 minutes). SW2003 SP3 running on Win2000 sp3 Master assembly containing some 20 sub assemblies (frames, girders etc) and one part (the reference surface file for the yacht) total number of parts is around 250 so far. Unfortunately, a lot of the parts are "in context" with the master assembly ( I came on to the project half way through)

Example would be find the part needing editing in feature tree, edit part and sketch. On closing the sketch, I either get a "do you want to rebuild?" box, click "no", closes sketch down and no problems, we continue working. Otherwise I get an automatic "components have changed.......updating assembly" box and SW spends ages rebuilding, with no interupt (ESC doesn't seem to work) and I go to make another coffee. Could anyone please: a. Tell me whether this is a SW bug, nothing to do about it / see here for a workaround. b. Point me at somewhere that explains the SW rebuild structure ( in fairly simple words!). I figure that the "update feature" markers act as posts for what requires rebuilding. I guess that you want to minimise the number of these in each assembly to minimise rebuild times (the tip about sub-assy, sub-assy, sub-assy was a good one, I have passed it to the guy that started this project!) c. A good reference for re organising assemblies without causing havoc. I am a bit nervous about messing about with this one (as I didn't build some of it) and could do with some background on what to be aware of.

Thanks Deri

Reply to
Deri Jones

Hello Deri-

Have you checked out Matt Lombard's Website. Matt's a pro and his website is full of excellent tips. Check out "The rules of thumb" for great ideas on how to manage assemblies. Try his suggestions, they work. Here's a link:

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

have a look at our free "RedLight" add-in

) which will let you control rebuilds manually. Perhaps "AssyGator"
) can help you spot the "problems" in your dependencies.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti