question on rebuilds while in drawing

working on a multisheet drawing.. is there any way to reduce the amount of rebuilding that swx insists on doing? just changing views, sheets, sometimes just a mouse click anywhere on a sheet triggers a fantastic quantity of rebuilding, updating, etc, etc, etc. The hard drive is running almost continuously, even while no real changes have been made to anything. Swx wants to rebuild/update parts that haven't been changed in months and updating views where the models haven't been touched. I would estimate this useless? activity is about a 60% productivity hit while working on drawings. Are there some settings that can cut down on this?

Thanks Bill sw2004sp4.1

Reply to
bill a

Use less drawing sheets per drawing file first off. Until SW does something multi-drawing sheets say more than 3 seems to slow things to a crawl.

You could aslo use a macro to stop rebuilds but there would be no rebuilds until you stoped the macro. I have a simple one that seems to work. Though I don't know what kind of issues you would run into in drawings with it. (It wouldn't cause data loss but it may cause you to not beable to do something like it might let you drop a view but it wouldn't be able to generate the view until you cause it to rebuild.

Also the less in-context stuff SW has to handle the quicker the rebuilds.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

RMB the top of the tree and disable 'auto update...'?

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

I did not know about that one does that make it an out of date print with the broken paper clip on it's Icon.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I just tried that, and it seemed like approx the same amount of rebuilding happened, just at somewhat different points in the processing of the drawing.

Bill

Reply to
bill a