Quiet @ SolidWorks World?

Given all the hype, I would have thought someone would have given posted some morsels back from the show to this group.

Come on, come on...We can't all go there.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I'm anxious to hear about SW2006... hoping somebody might post some details. Somebody?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

I'd be pretty happy to hear about 2005 sp 1.0!!!!!!!!!!!

the bugs in 2005 are killing me!

MB

Reply to
McBurger

I am hoping Brian was just being a little mischeivious... else we might have to give him a good sound beating with a whats new in 05 manual... :o)

Reply to
neil

hmmm...how about ...' mischievous'... I really must learn to spell......maybe there will be a checker in 06......then again there was supposed to have been one in 05...

Reply to
neil

"McBurger" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

on the SW community site they have a write up of day 1 at SW world. They state that SP1 will be out in 2 weeks, if Microsoft gets their installer fixed.

Reply to
buster

Some highlights taken from:

. SolidWorks helped Microsoft fix Windows Installer. Service Pack #1 for SW

2005 will be out in two weeks - waiting on the MS fixes.

Product Update . 2006 Sneak Preview. . Automated Vent Design. . Drag and Drop Decal surfaces. . Automatic text note resize with embedded spell checker. . Rotate views in drawings as in e-Drawings. . "A fundamental performance" enhancement by partially rebuilding the core of SW.

\/\/im

"Bo" schreef in bericht news:2005013116112375249%bclawson@tilikumcom...

Reply to
\/\/im

^^^^^^ "Partially" ? Another SWX Corp. half done attempt I presume. But we should jump for joy, something's better than nothing.

Malcontent

Reply to
Malcontent

Don't start reading into something that might not possibly be there. They most likely only re-wrote only what they needed. You're not female are you? :-)

Ken M

Reply to
kmaren24

The Tetul's from American Chopper showed up on Monday. they use SW and CosmosWorks in there shop now. They designed a bike with SW and unvieled it at the general session on Monday. For people who watch the show... Paul Sr., Jr and Mickey were here. It was exciting. The crowd just erupted when John Mcleney rode it onto the stage.

Reply to
Rock Guy

Some highlights taken from:

For 2006 the themes are to:

  • Become the workhorse of 3D design.
  • Go from 3D models to 2D drawings faster and more accurately.
  • Capture the hearts and minds of consumer design.

To that end, the team presented four areas of 2006 SolidWorks enhancements:

A. General Enhancements

  1. Linked views: multiple screen views scale, scroll, and more all together.
  2. Display states: store favorite settings for reuse.
  3. COSMOSWorks Analysis Advisor -- a wizard-type tool with tips on improving design from analysis results.
  4. Sketch Blocks: similar to a Windows box select -- everything inside the box is operated on the same -- then transfer the whole block to a an assembly.
  5. Camera: similar tools and set-up to "lights," but snaps to a view from the camera's perspective -- use for animation direction, tie to Animator, save AVIs, and bring to PhotoWorks.
  6. Annotation: Text-in-box sizing, shaping, spell-checking, word wrap. Also generic tables and rows function.
  7. Area Fill: Pick a feature, seed with image, fill. Includes full control of fill parameters, spacing, edges, more.

B. Consumer Product Design

  1. 3D Sketcher Enhancements: arcs, circle, rectangular relationships now supported. 2D plane inside 3D model -- maintain design intent on change. Dynamic preview along the way. Easier to manage feature tree.
  2. Functional Features: snap holes, mounting blocks -- intelligent "let SolidWorks do the work" placement.
  3. Net Surface.
  4. Decals -- complete control, multiple plane and surface control, size, shape, background -- very "sexy" full layout controls.

C. Machine Design (reuse of previously designed components)

  1. Annotation Views: organize dimension annotation on a plane -- leads to cleaner, non "rats-nest" automation of the detail of drawings.
  2. Smart Components: Auto sizing of reuse components.
  3. Broken views: both horizontal and vertical cut lines to size to fit to sheet.
  4. Loads and Boundaries in COSMOSExpress -- FEA loading wizard.

D. Sheet Metal

  1. Multiple Edge Flange.
  2. Rip Feature: all features can now be used to define rip and tear.
  3. Closed Corner: enhancement allows non-90 degree to each other and non-90 degree to base plane.
  4. Gauge Tables: Table-driven automatic adjust.
  5. Drawing Bend/Annotations: Automatic annotation of all bend lines.

On performance -- a demonstration of 2005 vs. 2006: while waiting for certain components to open in 2005 in a live demo, 2006 completed creation of a complex drawing, table and annotation -- Wow! minutes saved.

Reply to
\/\/im

Thanks for posting. Can someone who was there comment on this? Some of the items are a little vague. Is the performance enhancement as good as this writer seems to imply?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I am back - I missed this group as far as keeping up on everything. I have

10 pages of notes to condense into something readable and will let you know when I have it done.

All in all, I was very pleased to be able to go and came back with several things that will save us time & money. Certainly well worth the cost of the trip! Plus, good food, good friends, good time all around, except getting stuck in Atlanta last night........

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

well again, there is supposed to be a spell checker in '06

Reply to
mrcswp

did you notice that the drawing joe dunn was creating was in light weight?

Reply to
mrcswp

Here's an article written by and Inventor user. Pretty interesting. The article breaks down the show on a day by day basis.

Brian