Some highlights taken from:
For 2006 the themes are to:
* Become the workhorse of 3D design.
Go from 3D models to 2D drawings faster and more accurately.
* Capture the hearts and minds of consumer design.
To that end, the team presented four areas of 2006 SolidWorks enhancements:
A. General Enhancements
1. Linked views: multiple screen views scale, scroll, and more all together.
2. Display states: store favorite settings for reuse.
3. COSMOSWorks Analysis Advisor -- a wizard-type tool with tips on
improving design from analysis results.
4. Sketch Blocks: similar to a Windows box select -- everything inside
the box is operated on the same -- then transfer the whole block to a
5. Camera: similar tools and set-up to "lights," but snaps to a view
from the camera's perspective -- use for animation direction, tie to
Animator, save AVIs, and bring to PhotoWorks.
6. Annotation: Text-in-box sizing, shaping, spell-checking, word wrap.
Also generic tables and rows function.
7. Area Fill: Pick a feature, seed with image, fill. Includes full control
of fill parameters, spacing, edges, more.
B. Consumer Product Design
1. 3D Sketcher Enhancements: arcs, circle, rectangular relationships
now supported. 2D plane inside 3D model -- maintain design intent
Dynamic preview along the way. Easier to manage feature tree.
2. Functional Features: snap holes, mounting blocks -- intelligent
"let SolidWorks do the work" placement.
3. Net Surface.
4. Decals -- complete control, multiple plane and surface control,
size, shape, background -- very "sexy" full layout controls.
C. Machine Design (reuse of previously designed components)
1. Annotation Views: organize dimension annotation on a plane --
leads to cleaner, non "rats-nest" automation of the detail of drawings.
2. Smart Components: Auto sizing of reuse components.
3. Broken views: both horizontal and vertical cut lines to size to fit
4. Loads and Boundaries in COSMOSExpress -- FEA loading wizard.
D. Sheet Metal
1. Multiple Edge Flange.
2. Rip Feature: all features can now be used to define rip and tear.
3. Closed Corner: enhancement allows non-90 degree to each other and
non-90 degree to base plane.
4. Gauge Tables: Table-driven automatic adjust.
5. Drawing Bend/Annotations: Automatic annotation of all bend lines.
On performance -- a demonstration of 2005 vs. 2006: while waiting for
certain components to open in 2005 in a live demo, 2006 completed creation
of a complex drawing, table and annotation -- Wow! minutes saved.