Re: Apple to use Intel CPUs?

All I can report, is what I experienced. When we turned my QNX system off, six years after go-live, it had never been rebooted. Hardware was nothing special, uptime of over six years. But then the QNX kernel is only 16k, not too hard for them to work the bugs out. Microkernel is very hard to do right (or all pc OSs would be microkernel by now), but it has its advantages. I'm not affiliated with the company, but I loved their OS, was very sorry to leave it.

There was Byte article from the late eighties "Crash Proof Computing" that had a bunch on them, might be online somewhere.

Adam Smith, Midland ON

Reply to
Adam Smith
John Scheldroup

Um, no, apparently you haven't spent much time with dump files.

When the application causes the "exception" that kills it, the dump file and related information capture all allocated process memory, the stack, processor registers, other running processes, etc. With this information you can follow the code backwards from the error to see what lead up to it. And yes, making sense of this typically requires access to source code and other tools.

It is not started or running until there is a program exception. It is launched in response to the exception to collect the dump information.

Try

for more info.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Nope, only the religious loonies thought that, and I think even they are over it now. They do of course think that evolution is still a theory though, perhaps another 100 years for them to get over that as well.

Real world observations of test subjects is about as material as it gets.

Huh?

What reasoning? All I've seen from you is assertions that the dominant left brain / right brain differentiation does not exist, without a single reference to back it (since none exist).

Huh? Same OS, same UI, same applications and two different user types who exhibit the same differentiation in the way they organize their desktops and workflow.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

No, you can put things just about anywhere you want, however convention and good practices dictate that they should be in a standard location.

It doesn't matter how much they like to tinker, if they don't have privs they can't do anything.

If the admins hand out privs without regard to actual need and allow application IDs to have privs they don't need and there is not an independent data security department to audit, that is a management issue, not an OS issue.

No, if the admins don't follow the standards and guidelines for a C2 installation it certainly won't meet C2. Again this is a management failing, not an OS failing.

Caused by? Hardware failure? Poor management and auditing practices?

Again poor management, not poor OS. An incompetent admin with privs can hose any system.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

ooops :-)

That is why I was just went for a little vacation for a few days in italy.... my mind was going soft!

gruss

Daniel

Reply to
daniel