Sketch entities & dimensions flicker off and on

I've just installed Solidworks 2003 SP3 (Education Edition) on my IBM Thinkpad A31p under Windows 2000 SP3. Graphics card is ATI Mobility Fire GL

7800.

This version of Swx is behaving differently than my previous Solidworks EE versions on the same hardware.

I draw a rectangle. When I select the top edge to add a dimension, the other edges of the rectangle disappear. When I click to place the dimension, the other edges reappear, but the dimension disappears. The dim text appears if I move the mouse pointer over the place where the dimension was.

I'm wondering if it might be an OpenGL issue. I checked the Performance tab on System Options, and the "Use Software OpenGL" box is unselected and greyed out. Help suggests the resolution is not supported (currently running

1600x1200, but it doesn't become available at lower resolutions):

NOTE: This option is automatically selected and unavailable for change if your graphics card does not support hardware acceleration, or does not support it for the current combination of resolution, number of colors, refresh rate, and so forth.

... OpenGL settings work fine in Rhino, so I'm wondering what's happening with Solidworks.

Thanks...

Reply to
D Byrnes

Most likely graphics card.

The reason you cannot access the open gl setting is because you have a document open. Close all open documents and check the setting again.

If the option is greyed out WITH a check that means your card doesnt support open gl.

After that, try lower resolutions/refresh rates to see if that helps.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

[...]

Perfect! Thanks a bunch.