Smallest Footprint Laptop

I'm looking for something small to run Solidworks on - no bigger than a

12" display, altough smaller would be better as I'm fed up with lugging around my 17" widesreen Alienware monster when I only need to work on parts.

In general I know these ultra-potables tend not to have beefy (quadro) graphics cards but does anyone run SWX successfully on one?

What's the smallest laptop anyone is using successfully???

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

mandiison

The only real downside I've seen from the MacBook/MacBook Pro is the slightly different keyboard requires some choices in how to diddle with the solution you pick for a workaround.

I also use a BlueTooth 3 button scroll mouse (mine from RadTech) as it is small & easily carried w/no wire.

I do use a separate keyboard at times, but that isn't fun to carry around, & I don't.

Bo

mandiis> At a recently CalgarySWUG meeting one of the presenters was working off

Reply to
Bo

I bought a cheepie laptop (NZ$950) in an after Christmas sale that we intended to use as internet hack/homework machine around the house. It has wifi and plays DVDs fine.

I decided to load SW 2006 on it to see how it ran and was most impressed that it ran OK. It opens multiple windows... and appears to me only marginally slower that my home Quadro4 980 XGL.

It's a Toshiba Satellite A100 15.4" wide screen Centrino Solo 1.86

515mb with and extra 1 GB added by me to load my larger models. Graphics are integrated Intel 950 that uses up to 128 of the main memory.

Plugs into my Samsung Syncmaster 213t and runs that without problems at 1600 x 1200.

No real view, but who cares. I,m real pleased those days of trying to get a Gforce to open multiple windows with Riva tuner are over!

I'll be looking at a laptop for my home work machine on my next upgrade and I'm not so sure that it'll be a Dell M90 now.

Reply to
Cam

I too love the M90, but given the shifts in the world, I think I'm going to be running one of the Apple laptops, as I need flexibility.

Having said that, both Parallels & VMWare have been hinting that they will be able to run Mac OSX on HP & Dell boxes (or probably are doing it in house), meaning that running Mac OSX in virtualization inside of Win XP Pro seems possible.

It may be close to the day when you can run any damn OS on any box you want.

Bo

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bo

Well, I'd not thought about a Mac - but it is a possibility and the prices are reasonable too.

It looks like the Intel=AE Graphics Media Accelerator 950 is man enough to handle SWX parts and this is common in many models - so that opens loads of options

I'm pleasantly surprised the Toshiba Satellite A100 runs OK but I'm still looking for something 12" or under.

Thanks for the heads up guy's

Kev

2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
Reply to
alphawave

Just about any notebook with a Core2 Duo CPU at 2GHz or higher will provide tolerable performance for SolidWorks running in Software OpenGL mode.

Still, I'd suggest the Lenovo ThinkPad T60p. It is certified for SolidWorks and can be configured with a 14" screen and ~5lb travel weight.

jimsym

Yep, But I'm still looking for something 12" or under.

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

Word on the street today is that leaks have appeared noting that a new MacBook Pro with a 12" screen is due to be announced 'soon', and rumors say a Feb. 20 announcement is planned by Apple, so guesses abound.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Look for the Asus U1F (11.1'', led backlight) - If you can wait, anounced for april.

"alphawave" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jean Marc

Thanks for the heads up BO & JM

- I can wait

- both look as though they will worth looking at.

Cheers,

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

Supposedly, the next generation products from Apple are going to start coming down the production line with LED backlighting and flash memory for faster startups-reboots, but only time will tell.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

HMMMM, I wonder if SWX would run on a Sony UX180p Micro Computer with a 4.5 wide screen, you would need reeaaallly small fingers.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Reply to
mandiison

Right...& if a 12" MacBookPro hits the shelves in the Spring 2007 time slot, that will open up opportunities for safe Internet & network activity PLUS running Windows XP w/SolidWorks in a relatively safely isolated environment.

Anything much smaller than a 12" screen starts reminding me of an old MacPlus or worse, a monochrome PC.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Got this link in my inbox the other day:

anyone know anything about them?

Kev

Reply to
alphawave