SpaceNavigator: The Ultimate Earth Experience $59 / $99*

What do ya'll think of this?

$59 for a spaceball controller sounds too good to be true, am I missing something?

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

bob z. is hoping he is not missing something either. he wants one of these! how can you really go wrong for $59?

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

Looks like the only difference between the PE and SE is the type of support. Since I don't use the buttons on my 4000FLX, I may give one a whirl.

Reply to
Brad

What keeps this thing from moving around while in use? The wrist rest on the 4000FLX counter acts the force while in use. Does it have enough weight? Maybe a suction cup? Maybe the gravitational pull from all the crap on my desk.

Reply to
DiscDawg

bob z. has played with one of the SpaceTravellers. it is basically the same thing (in appearance). it is plenty heavy enough to counterattack the 'pull up' force. hopefully, this product will be the same...

bob z. p.s. they had training. i have google.

Reply to
bob zee

Hey DiscDawg,

I'm sure that they are similar to the Space Traveler which has a very heavy metal base and some foam rubber on the bottom. It stays put quite nicely.

Muggs

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a driver question. I just ordered the SpaceNavigator and assume it will come with the "latest" driver. I am crashing quite a bit and next up on the VAR suggestion list is disabling my 3d control add in. What driver are you 4000flx users at?

BTW "p.s. they had training. i have google." = ROTFLMAO = me too

Reply to
Brad

Brad, thanks for being one of the first to jump in. So far, your product review is:

Gotta love your var!

Cool. Count me in for one too, (at least for earth and sketchup.) There's several reviews using earth and sketchup. I'm looking forward to some from SW users.

regards, Diego

Reply to
Diego

Great cost but.... Again this is one of those fine print screw you things

Read this

What it basically says is that if you want to use the device commercially you have to buy 40 dollars in software. This would also let me think that the original drivers are limited.

Gad I hate it when companies do crap like this. one of those bait them and then tell them they have to pay more to have it work.

This is the cost difference between the SE and PE I take it so if you buy get the SE for 99 as it will cost you that with the PE becaues you will have to add the 40 for the "bend over and take it!" software.

Ben

Not Necessarily Me wrote:

Reply to
Ben Eadie

Ben Eadie wrote in news:HmKbh.403277$R63.170745 @pd7urf1no:

My reading of this

is that the only difference is in support and what you're licensed to use it for. I wonder which of us is right.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I just sent an email asking for an explanation of the license options. Will let you know the response I get.

Jeff

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

I just got off the phone with 3d Connexion. I had ordered the $59 one without reading all of the details. Bottom line, the $59 does everything the $99 one does but if you are using the $59 for commercial use, you are supposed to pony up the extra $40. As it stands I will try it out and will pay the extra $40 if I like it so that I am using it legally.

Reply to
Brad

Here is the response I got (names removed to protect the inocent)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your email. The PE and the SE are identical in function. The difference is in the use license. The PE is licensed for personal use and the SE for use in any environment. The $40 is the cost to upgrade from a PE to an SE should you use of the product change.

Kind regards,

Vice President

Sales and Marketing

Americas and Asia

3Dconnexion A Logitech Company

408 376 2507 (o)

408 376 2525 (f)
Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

As websites go this was quite interesting. Does anybody else think that black print on very dark gray is a good idea?

Reply to
TOP

"TOP" wrote in news:1165000194.562610.9830 @f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The gray doesn't seem that dark to me on IE7 or Opera 9. Are you using any background overrides?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

FWIW, check out Novedge. $90 for the full PE. I've purchased from them before. They are a good company AFAIC. Besides the swoftware difference, the SE has 2 keys, the PE has 8.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

RETRACT!!!! Sorry. They are selling the SE for 90. A savings off the SE retail but not what I thought. (blush)

- Eddy

Eddy Hicks

Mine just came in, I like it. Less real estate, heavy, usb, two buttons, and a cool blue light. Who could ask for anything more? For those that thought the 4000FLX was too squishy, this one takes even less effort to move.

Brad

Reply to
Brad

Got mine yesterday. Pretty slick but a very different feel from the 4000 FLX I use at work. Have a couple of issues, where is the serial number located at? And why does the option to upgade to the SE license appear on the help menu when I paid the $99 for the SE version? I've emailed support these questions and I'm awaiting a answer.

Jeff

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

Jeff,

I entered the PID number found on the USB cable tag and that worked for me. Let me know what you hear about the software as I ordered the $40 upgrade for mine and the $99 unit for a coworker. What do you think of the buttons? They seem a little hard to press for me.

Brad

Reply to
Brad