strong-back bends (sheetmetal bend gussets)

I know this has been discussed in the past. I was wondering if someone has come up with an elegant (i.e. easy) way to represent these on sheetmetal parts? I'm still on 2006, maybe 2007 addresses this directly since Solidedge now has this feature. I have a gusset in my design library that I picked up somewhere but I can't figure out how to place it on a part.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

Well to answer my on post. I got through the project requiring the strong backs but the way I did them is not pretty and actually I hope no one ever sees the part file. I did one using extrude, then draft, then fillet (2x), then a cut and more fillets. It looked great so I decided to array/mirror it all over the part but SW wouldn't let me do this. So I arrayed/mirroed what I could and then finish out each individual gusset (there were 12 of them). What a PITA!

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

I've done pretty much the same thing. Make one part with extrudes and cuts depending on which side of the part the gussets are formed, draft, fillet, then shell, that represents the finished folded part. This part won't turn into sheet metal - no bends found. So then I make a separate sheet metal part, without the gussets that can be unfolded for the flat layout. You can add a sketch for the location of the gussets in the flat part if needed. Not pretty but it works.

I'd tried applying a forming tool I made to put in the gussets after adding a flatten feature, but it failed to fold back up. I also tried putting in a forming tool from a plane at 45 degrees from one surface. That didn't work either. I haven't seen anything added in SW2007 to do this either. This is a very common sheet metal operation for both stamping and press brake work, but must be difficult to program. The only other thing I've wanted for sheet metal functionality was added when lofted sheet metal parts were added a couple releases ago.

Don't be embarrassed or shy about the part you created. If someone rolls their eyes at it ask them to demonstrate a more elegant method. If you are sending the part to a client be proud of your work. The limitation in this case seems to be software, not your skills.

Regards, Diego

Not Necessarily Me wrote:

Reply to
Diego

Diego,

Just one thought about your post. Even though it sounds like we went through the same process, you might want to consider separate configurations instead of files. I have one config with the strongbacks that show up on the formed views and another config where they are supressed. I use the config with the supressed strongbacks to place the flat layout view since the strongbacks in theory do not affect the flat layout (the press brake operators will argue this point.). Thanks for the encouragement, we all need some of that from day to day.

Have a great day, Jeff

array/mirror

arrayed/mirroed

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

Just wondering whata strong-back bend is. Can youu give a link to an image?

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

i posted one a while back.

i don't have the link on my page any longer.

use the default config for the flat-pattern. add a configuration to display the strong backs.

the reason the part will not unfold is the forming tool goes across a bend. regardless of where it lands on a part, no forming tool will unfold.

i can you send an example.

kenneth

Reply to
kenneth

"Not Necessarily Me" wrote in news:EP7sh.230874$aJ.185687 @attbi_s21:

Who knows what if would take to alter the forum's charter to allow image attachments? What percentage of us are so bandwidth limited that we can't afford to download images? I realize some out there still pay per byte, but is it really that expensive versus the benefits?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Links to web provision are allowed, are they not?

Reply to
mandiison

That does sound like a bigger problem. Thanks for the education.

Reply to
Dale Dunn