Suggestion for mouse cursor

Often times I use the surface filter for some selections and then turn it off with the "X" hot key. However, when I am in an measurement mode the mouse cursor turns into a "generic" measure tool. But, since there is no distinciton between if the surface filter is on or off, about half the time I have to stop the measurement, change the filter and then finish the measurement. It seems like if a filter is active that the measure tool should have a different mouse cursor then when the filter is off.

Does anyone agree that this would be a good suggestion or is there another way around this?

Thanks,

Edt

Reply to
Ed

Often times I use the surface filter for some selections and then turn it off with the "X" hot key. However, when I am in an measurement mode the mouse cursor turns into a "generic" measure tool. But, since there is no distinciton between if the surface filter is on or off, about half the time I have to stop the measurement, change the filter and then finish the measurement. It seems like if a filter is active that the measure tool should have a different mouse cursor then when the filter is off.

Does anyone agree that this would be a good suggestion or is there another way around this?

Thanks,

Edt

Reply to
Ed

I tried a more detailed post prior to this, but I think I lost it (so forgive me if I repeat myself if that post shows up) The net is that selection filter with surfaces doesn't seem to work with SWx and measure and surfaces. In 2006, surfaces are greyed out in the selection filter when in the measure tool, in 2007 they are available in the selection filter but it doesn't seem to do much of anything useful when in the measure tool. I was all prepared to say use RMB-'select other' but I couldn't get that to work either Should it work? You bet. But that is an 'enhancement' (or, alternatively, an ed f***-up, which i hope others will point out if I missed something) I almost always CTRL+select items to measure BEFORE going into the measure tool, and have never had a single problem with that. It ain't right, but it works. Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Strange, (besides that there are two posts??? ) My SW2006 and Sw2007 both worked just fine with filters and the measurement tool. If the surface filter is on the measurement would be the distance between the surfaces, (assuming that the two surfaces are parallel). But, most of the time I am looking for the distance between a vertex or an edge and the surface selection is not use in this situation.... So, I have to clear the current measurement, because the surface gave me measurements that I wasn't looking for and then to clear the filter and then to make the selections again. This could all be avoided if the curser indicated that there was a filter active. Then instead of going back, the filter could be set to on or off before selections to the measurement could be lost.

Edt

Reply to
Ed

Maybe I'm missing something, but on my machine, I can toggle the filters while I am in the measure mode. Hit F5 to turn on the selection filter toolbar to see what's happening, and then hit the various hotkeys - they toggle properly. I tried it with faces, edges, and vertices. But, maybe it's an issue related to surfaces - I don't have any in this model. SW2007 SP2.2

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany