SW 2006 Crashes whenever I try to open a second .slddrw

Any idea what might cause SW to crash when I try to open more than one drawing at a time? It didn't used to do this. Thanks

John Kimmel

Reply to
guynoir

It might be a corrupt install that may need re-installation. Or your template for your drawings may have a corruption that only pops up when you open two files at a time. Or your system just doesn't have enough physical or virtual memory to handle the files you are opening. Or graphics card issue. Or a miriad of other things. Do you have more details?

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

Thanks, no other details. I was hoping someone else might have had the same problem and knew how to solve it. It seems to work today, maybe the computer just needed to rest overnight.

Reply to
Guynoir

Sometimes you just need to restart SW or reboot your machine. If you have been working for along time or using a lot of memory, SW seems to get flaky. If I'm not doing anything that stresses the system, I can go for weeks without a reboot. If I'm really pushing it hard, I might have to reboot a couple of times a day. Your mileage may vary.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

John:

I was having frequent crashes using SW2008. I checked my hard drive yesterday and found that it was heavily fragmented (I mistakenly assumed that our network admin had set up a defrag routine). After defragmenting, so far the performance is a lot better and no crashes. One of my colleagues told me that when you reboot an XP system, Windows writes a ~300Mb file, and after some time you can get a fragmented HD even if you don't store data locally.

Worth a try.

-Dave Adams-

Reply to
Dave Adams

How long has the OS run since it was installed...years?

Does the OS get exposed to the Internet all the time?

Do you have lots of other applications and utilities installed?

The typical crap and corruption that occurs, sadly makes an OS reinstall somewhat necessary every 1-2 years, in order to get back to a clean state. If you have a virgin install on a 2nd hard drive and can "Ghost" it over to a new or known good hard drive you can save a LOT of time.

Bo

Reply to
Bo